What do you do. . .

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when you are really stressed out and don't have any time to relax??

Someone tried stealing my car, midterms are coming up, I'm in the process of applying to Law School, and the list goes on. I need some relaxation or my health is really going to suffer!

I would love to just take a day off from work but money is too tight for me to do that right now...

So, what are some things you all do to relax when you're short on time??

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to read on the bus and on my breaks and lunch I play with my little Zen garden on my desk!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

a really really long very hot shower
or a bath while reading a book
I love the thought of a bath or a long shower but it always seems like I only have that 10 minute window of time to get in and get out because something needs to get done.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any time at home?

I like to curl up on the couch with some popcorn and a blanket and watch my favorite movie or show

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Do you have any time at home?

I like to curl up on the couch with some popcorn and a blanket and watch my favorite movie or show
Not lately, I'm just bombarded right now.

I know that things will slow down in a few months but I don't know how much longer I can take it. I hate feeling so whiny
I'm not usually like this!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxie225

So, what are some things you all do to relax when you're short on time??
Take a day off regardless of finances. I learned long ago that money is nice to have but it isn't my "God" and I value my health and well being much more. Nothing like a day off to yourself to rejuvinate. Besides, if you run yourself down you get burned out and then you get sick and then you can't work even if you wanted to which means you are out days worth of pay instead of only one day.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree...how bad would it financially hurt you if you take 1/2 a day or one day off from work to just unwind? I don't know what your job is or salary, but sometimes you can wind up just being out $50-100 bucks.

Another option is to make an appointment for a facial or massage or even a manicure/pedicure combo. Do this during your mid terms. I found that by having something relaxing going on during, I tend to do better.

One final option is to take up a kickboxing class...I'm talking about one that you can actually hit something.
I did that my last year of my bachelors and wow...I was super relaxed afterwards.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I MAKE time. Because I have to come first, or I can't cope with everything else. I'm usually crazy busy and hardly ever home.

So I make some time, turn off the ringer on the phones, don't answer the door, and I watch a movie on DVD, have some comfort food - it depends on when I am able to make that time. If I can grab a weekend day, I stay in my PJs and read a book.

If I can only squeeze in an hour, I will make a massage apointment and have a LOVELY hour-long deep relaxation.

Where there is a will, there is a way, and sometimes a compromise is required, so that you are not always compromising YOURSELF. You have to look out for #1.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a half day, sit in a nice hot bubble bath with candles and a pint of Ben & Jerry's (I'm a New York Super Fudge Chunk girl
)

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Take a day off regardless of finances. I learned long ago that money is nice to have but it isn't my "God" and I value my health and well being much more. Nothing like a day off to yourself to rejuvinate. Besides, if you run yourself down you get burned out and then you get sick and then you can't work even if you wanted to which means you are out days worth of pay instead of only one day.
I also value my health more than money... it's just hard to see myself taking a day off and losing that pay even though I am well. BUT on the other hand what you are saying about getting burned out is true and then that obviously becomes an even bigger problem.

Originally Posted by lunasmom

I agree...how bad would it financially hurt you if you take 1/2 a day or one day off from work to just unwind? I don't know what your job is or salary, but sometimes you can wind up just being out $50-100 bucks.

Another option is to make an appointment for a facial or massage or even a manicure/pedicure combo. Do this during your mid terms. I found that by having something relaxing going on during, I tend to do better.

One final option is to take up a kickboxing class...I'm talking about one that you can actually hit something.
I did that my last year of my bachelors and wow...I was super relaxed afterwards.
Normally it wouldn't hurt at all to just take a day off but my rent increased a few months ago and I just made a large tuition payment. I'm still struggling to get back on my feet after that hit. I owe quite a bit of money too
I think a 1/2 day isn't such a bad idea and maybe a manicure/pedicure. My biggest problem now is whenever I think I should take a few minutes to relax and start to watch TV or something, all I can think about is all the work that has to get done and I end up more stressed than before! Maybe if I'm out while trying to unwind I wouldn't have any of those guilty feelings.

Originally Posted by GingersMom

I MAKE time. Because I have to come first, or I can't cope with everything else. I'm usually crazy busy and hardly ever home.

So I make some time, turn off the ringer on the phones, don't answer the door, and I watch a movie on DVD, have some comfort food - it depends on when I am able to make that time. If I can grab a weekend day, I stay in my PJs and read a book.

If I can only squeeze in an hour, I will make a massage apointment and have a LOVELY hour-long deep relaxation.

Where there is a will, there is a way, and sometimes a compromise is required, so that you are not always compromising YOURSELF. You have to look out for #1.
You're totally right, I have to compromise otherwise I'm going to end up in the looney bin
Maybe tonight I should rent a movie and for those few hours try and block everything out and just relax. It sounds so nice!

Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Take a half day, sit in a nice hot bubble bath with candles and a pint of Ben & Jerry's (I'm a New York Super Fudge Chunk girl
)
I'm a chubby hubby fan myself but I love most ice cream anyways!! I think that would be a good addition to my relaxation process!

Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

So sorry things are stressful.
Try some breathing exercises. When you don't have much time it really helps me to relax a little. Here is a site to give you ideas on breathing: http://www.coedu.usf.edu/zalaquett/H...ens/breath.htm
That is definately a gooooood quick fix and exactly what I was looking for when I get myself too frazzled!!

Thanks everyone for the support and suggestions! I hate to sound so whiny and I don't want to be complaining but I just feel so stressed and off lately. I'm normally very optimistic and stress very little so this is an odd change for me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find doing Pilate's very relaxing. The breathing and stretching does it the most. I have a very hard time not falling right to sleep after doing just a beginner 20 minute exercise. (I have a DVD that I do that with sometimes, I'm not very consistent with exercise.)

And I agree with the others, make yourself make some time. It'll pay off in the long run!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone's suggestions but to add in a short term one when you're feeling really bogged down in work........

I tend to get very stressed when I'm really busy and under pressure. I noticed my heart rate going up and feeling a little panicky the other day. I thought to myself 'you are the only person who can change how you feel right now and you have to make that choice'. I gave myself a minute or two, did a couple of deep breathing exercises and thought 'you'll get to the end of the day. There is no point in feeling rubbish while getting there, relax and you'll get through it'. It actually worked. I accepted that I was having a manic day and it would continue this way, so there was no point in getting stressed about it.

This is probably a complete ramble but I feel for you!!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found out that when my life gets crazy busy and I don't take time out, my body makes me. Literally, I'll mysteriously come down w a 24hr. bug and end up having to stay home and then lo and behold the next day I feel fine.

just take a day off, it's much more rejuvenating when you don't feel ill...

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by saya

also...

xanaax
it saved my life

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I feel so silly about this all but you guys have made me feel better. I think I may just make this weekend devoted to myself
I actually took a long nap today and am now headed to the gym... I'm officially declaring this the "all about me" weekend. Roxie and Jon will have to take care of each other for 2 days

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am big on the five minute meditation approach. I find that by lighting a candle and watching the flame for about 5 minutes or longer it helps me refocus my energy.

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A hot shower or some light yoga helps me relax when I've had a long stressful day. But nothing beats getting a massage from my hubby.