He's coming!!! Need a name.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure where to put this announcement, so here it is. I finally decided on a little boy kitten from a breeder in Eastern USA. He's a silver Egyptian Mau, and only a month old but he has very dark nice spotting on a light silver background. A breeder friend of mine spotted him when she was scouting for a new queen for her cattery and asked if I wanted first dibs on him. She'll pick him up when she goes to get her new queen sometime in November.

I'm not sure how registration works, but she said to let her know as soon as I pick out a name. In dogs, I picked the names of all my pups for registration, but the new owners could call them anything they wanted.

So I need a name!

So far I have:

GSD - Chloe
GSD - Asha
Chihuahua - Midge
B&W Long Hair Cat - Sohni
Andalusian/Percheron Horse - Tacia

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
since he is an Egyptian boy, here are a few I got from this website about Egyptian cat names

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/e...6913/egypt.htm

AMUN (AH'-muhn; Male): This would be a good name for a dominant cat; a strong but silent type that may very well have sired countless offspring. You see, Amun was the god of fertility, reproduction, and sexual power. Due to this attribute, he was also considered god of agriculture. His name signified "the hidden" or secret operations unknown to man. He was the chief god, King of the Gods, not unlike his counterparts ZEUS and Odin. With his ruling might over the gods, Amun soon became associated with the Pharaohs. With the combined powers of regeneration and royalty, Amun became linked to the sun and the great god RA, becoming known as Amun-Ra, which pretty much consolidated his status as supreme god. As with many religions, Amun belonged to a trinity, this one consisting of his wife MUT and their son KHENSU. If you have a family of three cats, you might consider these unique and fitting names.

ANUBIS (ANN-yoo-biss; Male): One of many excellent names for a black cat. Anubis was the jackal headed god of funerary rituals and was the protector of the dead as well as the judge of souls and ruler of the underworld. Since it was his duty to weigh souls (along with the goddess Maat) as a means of discovering the content of honesty, Anubis was also the god of truth. By no means an evil god, his domain of graves and tombs was nevertheless a frightening one, but then, one that offered the chance of an afterlife.

IMHOTEP (Male): whose name means "He who comes in peace", didn't start off as a god, but as a mere mortal just like you and me. But Imhotep was such a wise man and a skilled architect (said to have designed the famous "Step Pyramid") that he was made the god of learning and medicine. Naturally this meant he ruled the field of herbs and drugs. This being the case, I can't think of a better name for a catnip addicted feline than Imhotep.

KHENSU (KEN-soo; Male): Son of AMUN-RA and MUT, Khensu and his mom and dad belonged to another trinity known as the Theban triad of gods. His name means "He who travels the sky." He was considered the god of the New Moon and was known as an exorcist, of all things. This might be a fitting name for a cat that loves to roam the neighborhood at night, or on a more esoteric level, the name Khensu might suit a cat whose presence seems to disperse negativity wherever he happens to be.

KHEPERA (Male): This third form of Ra was called the god of the rising sun. He represented reincarnation. Since we all know that cats have nine lives, maybe Khepera might befit a cat who has endured more than his share of close calls.

OSIRIS (Male): Another one of "The Big Nine." Pretty much THE name for a fine male cat who bears a rather heroic stature. Osiris was the brother/husband of ISIS and was considered the noblest of the gods. He was known by many distinguished titles such as, "Universal Lord", "Lord of life after death", "Good Shepherd", to name just a few. In fact, The Egyptian Book of the Dead catalogues over 200 names attributed to Osiris. He was the god of commerce and success, of religion, civilization, and law. He was believed to have taught the Egyptians the various arts and crafts necessary to maintaining society. Unfortunately, his brother SET was a bit jealous of his popularity and saw to it that Osiris was murdered and his body sent far away. After a long and miserable search, Isis found her dead husband and through a miraculous occurrence, was impregnated by him, by which she gave birth to the new sun god HORUS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how they are named, and if I have to pick a call name or a registered name.

I like Khensu or Tsekani.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about Long John Silver or something along those lines. I can't give you my "silver" name cause its reserved for my next ocicat

While you are supposed to put in 2 choices for names, I never do. Only cause I know the breeder hasn't used the names in her cats. You might look at the pedigree and see if something comes to mind - use two ancestors names and mix them up or something. Also, go to other mau breeders and look at the names of their cats - sometimes you get ideas from that. My other rex was named Tazzamarazz - I was flipping thru a cat yearbook and saw a persian with the name Razzamatazz; so I reversed it

Of course the nickname can be anything you want - doesn't matter
Spooky's registered name was DNA's Top Secret of TC.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Little is right! What a little sweetie. You do know, of course, that we are all jealous.

I love the name Osiris. He could be Ossie for short (no, not OZZIE, OSSIE)

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So the litter is registered through CFA, and then I send in the individual registration with the name/s I pick.... Hmm. Bit different than dog registration.

See, if I show him then his breeders name won't have to be listed in his name. In the dog world that is a form of advertising. You sell a pup as a show dog with your kennel name as part of the dog's name. Then people can look you up if they like what they see.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't wait to get him here. He looks like he needs a hug. I keep going to youtube and watching kitten videos. My stray cat was at least a teenage when I got him, so I haven't had a kitten in my house for 8 years.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The breeder's cattery will be on the registration papers - you can pick his name after the cattery name.

E.g. if the breeder's cattery is Brockridge, and you picked Long John Silver, the CFA papers would be:

Brockridge's Long John Silver

He will be given a registration number, and your name will be the owner.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or if you picked Osiris, his name would be Brockridge's Osiris.

Can you tell I really like the name Osiris?

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK, thanks for the update. I appreciate all the advice on names, but I think I am going to choose Tsekani or Sekani. Tsekani means closer in Egyptian, and Sekani is the name of a group of first nation's people here in BC. Since I am first nations, it fits.