Back from vet --> liver disease

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just brought my cat to the vet where she is going to remain for awhile. Her only symptoms were lack of appetite and lethargy. I tried to ensure she was eating SOMETIHNG everyday but I guess I didn't do a good enough job. It looks like she has fatty liver syndrome, although we won't know until further tests are done. I hope that is what it is because the only other option is liver tumour. Which seems ridiculous for a 7 year old cat, and the prognosis is terrible, so I don't know what to do. I didn't even notice the jaundice, I feel like such a terrible owner, I should have had her in earlier, but I just didn't know.

Does anybody have experience with fatty liver syndrome??? how did it turn out. The vet said if she responds to overnight IV and force feeding then the prognosis is fairly good.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can PM me if you like. I have had a few cats that have battled this. It can be overcome, but it takes a lot of dedication on your part and careful monitoring of the feedings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how to PM, but I will when I hear more tomorrow, because I'm going to need all the help I can get.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
www.Herbal-Provider.com is a site with an ad up on TCS right now which says "FATTY LIVER? HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. VALIDATED BY 300 CLINICAL TRIALS."

Instructions on all things TCS can be read at the top of the page of posts, in the Stickys.

Your cat is in my prayers and healing thoughts. Please keep us updated.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

www.Herbal-Provider.com is a site with an ad up on TCS right now which says "FATTY LIVER? HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. VALIDATED BY 300 CLINICAL TRIALS."
I may have missed something but I believe these are for humans and the clinical trials were done on humans not cats. This is not something I would give a cat with hepatic lipidosis (or any cat actually unless I knew more).

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

You can PM me if you like. I have had a few cats that have battled this. It can be overcome, but it takes a lot of dedication on your part and careful monitoring of the feedings.
Take her up on her offer of help. It can be a difficult thing to overcome but your cat can overcome it with proper care.

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'm kind of going through the same thing with my 10 year old, mouse. he wasn't eating, we took him to the vet on a tuesday and he was there til saturday. he was jaundiced around the ears. they tried to syringe feed him and he'd throw up. so on saturday we took him to a specialty hospital. they did x-rays and an ultra sound and everything seems normal except his billiruben (?) is up. they installed a feeding tube. they still don't know the cause of the jaundice and why he stopped eating. he was on an appetite stimulant for 1 week, 2 kinds of antibiotics for 2 weeks and now he's still on denosyl for his liver. he's on hill's diet a/d for the tube food. after the appetite stimulant was stopped he'd started getting nauseous when i tube feed him. then he threw up. that was on a saturday night of course so we went back down to the hospital. they couldn't find nothing wrong. told me to feed him smaller amounts more often, always offer real food first and it wouldn't hurt if he'd get a little hungry to get him started eatng on his own again. don't starve him of course.my vet says 'you got the tube then use it and keep him full all the time. that doesn't sound like a good idea to me because i'm worried that he might not eat on his own if i keep him full. i'm thinking of getting a 3rd opinion. so that's my experience so far

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goonie

they installed a feeding tube. after the appetite stimulant was stopped he'd started getting nauseous when i tube feed him. then he threw up.
Goonie just checking to see if you are tube feeding very slowly. As a vet tech and learning bout a yr ago how to tube feed, the first words out of my "teachers" mouth were "the slower the better." If you push to fast it can cause them to vomit. Can say out of the 25+ cats i've tube fed at work i've had 1 vomit on me but that was because he was a very very sick kitty. But i wish you the best of luck with him.

ps i love how they "installed" a feeding tube, cute

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't feel like you're a bad mom. I lost a kitty a few years ago to the same thing because I just didn't know enough. I didn't notice he wasn't eating because I free-fed and more than one of us in the household would feed him. By the time I noticed it was too late for him, even with force-feeding we never got him back.

I'm sending vibes that you can help your kitty get better.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't mean to be discouraging, but I just lost my Black on Monday to liver disease, so be very, very careful!!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On really?? was it just too late when you got your kitty to the vet??? or did he/she not respond to the force feeding etc? I"m so so sorry.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a kitty that survived fatty liver disease. You can beat it if they caught it on time but you have to be very dedicated. You are free to PM me as well and I'll try to help, but Hissy would be the best as she is a pro. Your vet will also assist you in how to treat this nasty disease.

Sending hugs and healing vibes! Don't give up hope! I did not give up even after everyone else thought it was hopeless and he survived!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

On really?? was it just too late when you got your kitty to the vet??? or did he/she not respond to the force feeding etc? I"m so so sorry.
A bit of both unfortunately. He was well into the failure by the time I noticed it and then he didn't respond very well to force feeding so we weren't able to get enough into him to reverse it. I'm so praying that you've caught your baby in time.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the vets to see if I could go pick her up, but she took a turn for the worse, so they are keeping her in another day atleast....