Gravy on raw, other toppings?

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd try adding some gravy to the raw I feed my kittens to make it more tasty, any thoughts on this? Anything I should stay away from? And does anyone know of any other toppings which might excite my kittens?

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm new to the raw feeding, infact I haven't got as far as just raw yet. I part cook it. I mix some boiled rice in with it and some soaked kibble for extra nutrients as she is only a kitten

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All I can think of, if it was me who tried that with the kitties, I'd end up with three kitties who'd completely forget that raw meat is for eating. They'd lap up the delicious gravy and then get to the cold, raw meat and shun it. Maybe Molly would eat the meat, because she loves to eat and she'll eat and eat and eat until I take food away from her. But Willow and Buffy, they're more spooky. I would be too afraid to change their meals for fear they'd stop eating their raw meat.

But if you added just a few drops of gravy, just to add a little flavour/smell to entice the kitty to eat, that could work. I've done that with Buffy back when I was trying to get her to eat raw, only I used small amounts of canned food instead of gravy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

BLOOD .... fresher the better
Can it be my blood? I'm afraid they might come to like it so much I'd become prey someday. Any other way to get it without cutting myself or buying meat?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
no the meat blood ... organs usually provide a nice amount
_

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any other way? Doesn't anyone sell it by the pint or something. And which animal blood do you think is best?

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok besides asking Dracula for directions and squeezing a beating heart, is there another way to get some blood?

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe get a bloodier meat? It's just my limited experience, but of the pre-made raw I get, beef and bison (and other such hoofed animals) tend to be drier than chicken and turkey. But it also varies with the brands; Pets Go Raw tends to be really bloody regardless of meat (though, again, chicken will be bloodier than beef) and Arusha is drier than Pets Go Raw (chicken still being a little bloodier than beef). If I want to use a "gravy" on the meat as a treat, I simply spoon up the blood that pooled around the meat in the container.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried searing the meat yet?
If you go to any grocery store and buy liver, it usually has a lot of blood in the package you can use to coat your meat. Liver is really inexpensive.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats will eat anything with parmesan cheese sprinkle on top. Ginger will also eat freeze dried chicken/liver.