I foiled a thief!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, where I work we get all kinds of shoplifters of course. But this was different. I was dusting kind of near the registers and a man came over and showed me an Amex traveller's check, which I realized was pretty obviously fake, and asked me if we accepted them. I said, yes we do, and then after he got back in line I went and found my manager and told her about it.

She went up to the desk, and I went out of sight and called the police, and told them we had somebody about to try and pass one of the 500$ counterfeit checks. There's been a problem with it recently in our area, and somebody at our store actually accepted one! So the cops were on the way, and my manager told him that she thought it was a fake.

He wanted to buy 400$ in gift cards, and then get the 100$ back. When she told him it was a fake, he started backing out the door, especially after security came in... as he was leaving she said "Don't you want your 500$ back?!" He replied "Naw" and ran out.

So, too bad, the cops walked in right then and tried to find him, but I think he ducked behind the parking garage and got to the neighborhood. So we didn't actually catch him, but we have his picture and his fake check with possibly his real name on it.

The thing was hilarious-- wrong color, no watermark, the seal was wrogn and half falling off. The account number was printed in regular numbers instead of the bank-font or whatever it is. Passable in the dark to someone who doesn't know what they actually look like, I guess.

So I foiled my felon for the day.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sneaky bugger! That was a good observation! Thankfully you caught him

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was pretty excited, usually we catch little kids trying to steal walkmans or people stealing textbooks to support their drug habits. That happens once a day or so. And in football season we get people stealing large quantities of OSU-related stuff so they can sell it outside the stadium (next time you are tempted to buy from a street vendor near a stadium, remember there's as good a chance they stole whatever they're selling as there is that they're legit).

But this kind of thing is less common, and 500$ is a LOT of money. At least that's one counterfeit check that isn't going to do serious damage to someone's business. I'm sure he has more, but after all the incident reports I had to fill out I would bet there will be a bulletin with his picture out to all the nearby businesses about it and hopefully we can catch this guy!

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that thieves are stupid, and they do things like coming back to the business they were removed from in handcuffs earlier that day.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a lot of money! Isn't anything over $500 a felony too? Or is it $1000? I'm glad you caught him. I know we had repeat theives where I worked in college. The first time I encountered the guy he fooled me. Unfortunately my manager saw him just after I'd finished his transaction and he was walking out. I felt so stupid I had to go in the bathroom and have a little frustration cry! Next time he came in he wasn't so lucky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

That is a lot of money! Isn't anything over $500 a felony too? Or is it $1000? I'm glad you caught him. I know we had repeat theives where I worked in college. The first time I encountered the guy he fooled me. Unfortunately my manager saw him just after I'd finished his transaction and he was walking out. I felt so stupid I had to go in the bathroom and have a little frustration cry! Next time he came in he wasn't so lucky.
I *think* 500$ is a felony and 1000$ is a federal crime. I remember there was something going on that we were documenting until it reached 1000$ so we could call the FBI. I'll let you know what it's listed as once they post the police report.

I think everyone who has been in retail has been in your situation
There wouldn't be any thieves if they never got away with it. And a lot of people don't care at all, and don't watch the obvious ones. I always wonder why shoplifters think they're inconspicuous... just because we can't actually CATCH them doesn't mean we don't know what they're doing!