Doe this sound fishy? Some man came to friends house for a security check.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend's little sister just called me to explain what happened last night at her house.

Her parents are out of town for a few days and yesterday a man came to their door asking for her parents. Now my friend's sister does look a little young, but she's in college and doesn't look that young to me. He flashed some kind of badge quickly and asked when they'd be home. He said he was there for a neighborhood security check. She made up stories and told him to try them tomorrow.

After he was gone she went to the neighbors all around her house and none of them had seen him before. So she called her Sargent (she does some cadet work with the police) and told him what happened. He basically said that if something like that is done, the person would know ahead of time that they are coming. Now her step-dad is a guard at one of the prisons and her mother has also worked for the prison system and I know if they knew something like this would go on, they wouldn't go away for a few days.

So she was a little freaked out over it and spent the night at another sister's house across town. I live literally down the street so she called me to see if when she went home today to get some school things I'd go with her. Well she ended up going by herself and nothing happened and the house was fine. She's in a class now but will be going home tonight. I told her to call if the guy comes back and I'll drive up there, see if just another person coming up makes him leave.

So what do you think? Have you ever heard of someone doing that for a legitimate reason? I'm really not sure at this point.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It wasn't legitimate. It sounds like he was casing the house! She was smart to react like she did! If I were her, I would notify the police and ask my biggest, baddest guy friend to say over (on the couch) tonight!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

It wasn't legitimate. It sounds like he was casing the house! She was smart to react like she did! If I were her, I would notify the police and ask my biggest, baddest guy friend to say over (on the couch) tonight!
I was thinking the same thing.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
What is a neighborhood security check?
That sounds very fishy to me.

The only time someone has knocked on my door and requested access unannounced was when one of the town's assessors was reevaluating homes. I had seen his picture in the paper before, so I knew it was legit.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I watch Forensic Files so something like that would really not sit well with me. That is not normal at all.

Heres some stay safe vibes for your friend

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow thats scary! Thank goodness nothing happened to your friends sister

Hopefully that man doesn't come back

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. Definitely fishy! I hope everything turns out ok. I would ask the police if they would do some extra patrols in the neighborhood.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fishy to me - checking on who is home (or alone) to come back. Your sister better have her cell phone in her hand to call the cops if they show up again. She should also NOT open the door at all - look out the window. If she opens the door, they could force their way in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really hope he doesn't too. And I hope her parents do get home today. Unfortunately thier brother is away at college right now. Heck if I have to, I'll call my step-brother, who she actually works with. But then he's ex-army, an excellent shooter and spends all his free time studying Brazillian martial arts... He might get too excited about a potential opportunity to kick someones butt....

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she can see who is outside without opening the door, she should call 911 immediately if he comes to the door.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With her parents being involved in the prison system, I'd want a full-time guard outside the hosue after something like that.

Your friend is smart-- too many people don't follow their gut instinct when confronted like that.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I really hope he doesn't too. And I hope her parents do get home today. Unfortunately thier brother is away at college right now. Heck if I have to, I'll call my step-brother, who she actually works with. But then he's ex-army, an excellent shooter and spends all his free time studying Brazillian martial arts... He might get too excited about a potential opportunity to kick someones butt....
Yes! That is the friend to call in.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It definately sounds fishy. They way you say he just flashed the badge is the tip off. We had the FBI show up at our house unanounced to do a security check on one of our neighbors who was in the running for a high security job. When they showed up they let us study the badge for a moment and also had that weird "we have power" vibe, if that makes sence. As soon as we opened the door before even seeing the badge we knew they were from some government group. We kind of laughed about it afterwards because they really were like the people you see in movies. All serious, dressed in black drove a black car, the whole thing. They left a card with us with instructions to call if we had any more info that we forgot to tell them. They did apologize for not calling ahead but they explained that if they show up unanounce they tend to get real answers and not get told just what the applicant wants them to hear.

If your friend can remember the orginization he said he was with and his name she can call the local office and conferm whether or not they sent someone out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

If your friend can remember the orginization he said he was with and his name she can call the local office and conferm whether or not they sent someone out.
I suggested she do that if he comes back, and to look up the number herself, not just call one they gave her.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really doesn't sound legit too me.
She was a very quick thinking person!!