Health question about a cat.

kittendizo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi i recently got a cat. She is about 6 months old. She sleeps with me, but it seems when we wake up there are little orange bead like things that fall outa her hair. They are about 1/20th of an inch big and there are usually like 20 of them. The are the same color as my cat (orange). The vet assures me they are not flees but does not know what they are.. I was hoping that maybe someone here could help me.
Thanks
Robert

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought would be dried tapeworm segments. Has she been wormed by the vet?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tapeworms would be white - not orange. I have NO clue - maybe a vet should look at her. Save some of the orange beads for indentification.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Tapeworms would be white - not orange. I have NO clue - maybe a vet should look at her. Save some of the orange beads for indentification.
On a white sheet, dried tapeworm eggs will look yellowish-orange.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittendizo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well when i first got her she was tested for everything and it was found negative. Althought when i google and image for what you say it does look fairly similar.. If she does have tapeworm is there anything I can do about it?

kittendizo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well they are definately orange... and on a blue sheet

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use a piece of tape and pick a few up,then take the tape to the vet to veiw under a microscope to make sure that's what it is. He will give you a tablet, usually, to get rid of them. Tapeworms come from fleas and from eating mice and birds, so you may want to see about getting a flea med while you're there.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said you recently got her, was it from a shelter? The reason I ask... most kittens are only wormed for round and hook worms and if she was a shelter kitten, she may have had fleas and been treated,and not have fleas now. But she may not have been treated for tapeworm. But of course, it could be ear wax or anything else!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its tapeworms, then the beads/eggs or whatever it is would be found around her butt or back legs.

Also check her stool and see if there is anything white like a tapeworm or part of one when she goes.

Can't see ear wax just falling off the cat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SHE need s to see a VET ... sooner rather than later...

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Annabelle and Elliott both came right off the street and they both had a tapeworm.
When the segments dry they sort of have a very light yellow tinge to them..but I've never seen anything as bright orange as the things in the pictures you posted.

I agree with whoever it was that said to gather up some of the beads and take them along with the cat to the Vet.

kittendizo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well the vet is not open today.. ill take her tomorrow then i suppose