Probiotics?

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone know if there's a difference between human and animal probiotics, I'd like to start taking the probios if there isn't.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by river

Anyone know if there's a difference between human and animal probiotics, I'd like to start taking the probios if there isn't.
some will say strains... I found it to be animal having less millions per dose... I use human and cut the dose for the girls

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The holistic vet prescribed probiotics for Buster because his herbs made him have diarreha. Unfortunately, I've had a very difficult time administering it to him. It smells so bad and it comes in a huge syringe. It got all over my bed, clothes, and carpet. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I couldn't get the smell out of my hands for hours yesterday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might want to try Probios, it tastes good, kind of like creamer. I'm not sure how well it works yet but Sharky recommends it. The cheapest place I found it was Amazon.

prosperity

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use FloraMore for both me and the cats. I sprinkle the capsule over their wet food and mix it in. It tastes like cream and they love it. I split one capsule between the two of them, but the vet says they can each take whole one if I like.

It is a people probiotic and the vet has approved it for the cats.

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Niko is VERY food driven, so when I tried Bene-Bac brand probiotics, I just mixed it in with his wet food. He ate it up without hesitation. Then again, I think he'd eat anything if it were covered in wet food.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you guys give probiotics long-term or just for medical issues? The vet gave Buster probiotics last week because the herbs made his stool very runny and stinky. They told me to use it twice a day for three days. Unfortunately, I have not been able to give it to him because it's a hassle. However, I need to administer it to him soon. Does it make the stool hard? He has megacolon and experiences difficulty passing poop; thus, he needs stool softners. I was wondering if the probiotics would counteract the softener.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
probiotics are INTESTINAL FLORA >.. ie bacteria ... they help to break down food in the intestines and ward off illness.... I use them all the time as does Gigi my IBS dog