Question from a new kitten *mommy*

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a few days ago, I took in an orphaned 4 day old kitten. Initially, it's weak and refused to eat and cries constantly. I have been feeding him ( I think it is a he but I know it's still too young to tell) every 2 hours, around the clock and I must say it is definitely very exhausting. But I have so much love for this kitten and I wanted so much for him to be well.

It's now about one week old, eating very well, and have been peeing/pooping with my assistance. Anyway, this is my fist time taking care of a kitten, much less a newborn, so I have a few questions.

I read that newborn kittens are passive but mine is full of energy. He scoops and crawls and when I place him in my palm, he can twist and turn strongly! He still have him umbilical chord and I thought it should have fallen off earlier.

His eyes are still close but he likes to roam in his box and nearly climbed over the box (it's a deep box and I didn't realize how strong he is!)

So, is it normal for a newborn kitten to have this much energy? Also, he don't really like me massaging his anus and abdomen to help him defecate and cries loudly everytime. Is that also normal?

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if he is older than 4 days, i don't think newborn kittens are that active. At least mine weren't, I could be wrong though....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He might be a few days older then that - no more then a week tho if eyes are not opening yet. I've had some kittens that were pretty active at a young age.

Maybe you are being a little too rough with him is why he's crying when you wipe him. Sounds good so far for a 1st time cat mommy

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a little newborn orphan afew months ago , she too was very active, at times, I had to put her in a cardboard box, because she would wiggle herself, out of the wicker basket I had her in, It is tiring feeding around the clock, but it doesn't last long, Lucky is the most loving cuddly cat I have ever had, it sound slike you are doing a good job.
This little one is lucky to have you

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Ziggys litter was born one was much bigger than the rest. I think he was concieved earlier and Ziggy held off labour until the other were ready. He was really strong too and moved around alot. Strangely, he was last to open his eyes all the way and last to drop his umbilical cord (almost 10days old)

Keep up the good work

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies! He is growing really fast and I just moved him into a slightly larger box today since he has been climbing over the last one and dropping out. Here's some pic to share - feeding time ...

Btw, I am pretty sure he is random breed but maybe he is closer to American Shorthair? Just a guess and what do you call his color?

I don't know why but the pictures are showing...

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I edited the links so the pictures would work. What a little dollface.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a Brown Tabby/white mixed breed. Can we see more of the body? He does look older then just 4 days old - at least 1-2 weeks old.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Looks like a Brown Tabby/white mixed breed. Can we see more of the body? He does look older then just 4 days old - at least 1-2 weeks old.
I took him in when he was 4 days old but the pic was taken when he was 6 days old and today, he's ONE WEEK old .. yay! He weighs in at 4.4oz .. Will try to take more pics but he never stays still, unless when he is crying for food.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by the godess bast

what a cute torbie he is such a doll
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

i can't really tell for sure... if "he's" a torbie, then "he" is probably a "she". brown tabby/white, could be either sex. we need some body pix to be sure on coloration...

Originally Posted by tutti_bella

I took him in when he was 4 days old but the pic was taken when he was 6 days old and today, he's ONE WEEK old .. yay! He weighs in at 4.4oz .. Will try to take more pics but he never stays still, unless when he is crying for food.
sounds good to me - i took in Firefox at about 1 month of age [seemingly on death's door] & she only weighed 9 ounces. yours sounds like he's doing really well - & he's a cutie-pie, too!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason why I didn't mention the "torbie" comment was that brown tabbies have shades of brown - not a red. We do need to see a body shot to be sure, but I suspect he's a brown tabby.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's more pic of kitty in the old nest box - kitty climbed over this one and fell off and I had to moved it to a deeper and bigger box. He weighed in at only 4.4oz yesterday and this morning, he's 5.2oz! Wow, do they grow fast ..

I am very concerned now because after I fed him a while ago, his stool are runny and I spot some reddish colorings, blood??? My vet appointment is next week but now that this is happening, I might have to reschedule.

http://img107.mytextgraphics.com/pho...-484x5rzsb.jpg
http://img108.mytextgraphics.com/pho...3-f7owz76l.jpg
http://img106.mytextgraphics.com/pho...-484x5rzxk.jpg

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i'll agree w/Golden Kitty about coloration after those pix - brown tabby & white. those reddish blotches by his ears aren't enough, IMO, to say 'torbie' - he doesn't have nearly the amount of orange that Firefox has.
if he's still perky, i think you could hold off on the vet till tomorrow. see if the stools firm up. if he becomes lethargic, tho, get him in - the little ones can go downhill really quickly.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That last picture of the full body shot shows he's a brown tabby/white. So you should have the vet check the sex to be sure if its a boy or girl.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update to let you know that kitty is fine and his stool is normal. I think I might have mistaken the darker red color for blood but since the last 24 hours, kitty has been eating well, sleeping most of the time and is very cuddly. He even rolls around my palm so I can rub its tummy and falls asleep right of my hand! I am so happy for this milestone. Kitty didn't like me holding it much in the beginning but now, it loves it when I rub and stroke its body.

Kitty's fur coat has turned much darker, grayish now instead of brownish. But the fur on its head is still brownish and much lighter compared to the rest of its body. Nevertheless, its still so beautiful. I spotted one flee on his nose this morning though and managed to pick it. I checked all over other parts and couldn't find anymore. But with its thick coat, it's hard to say. Are fleas terribly harmful to my kitty? I am quite concern really.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fleas can be an issue for the babies.
Get a lice comb at a pharmacy or a flea comb from a pet store. I prefer the lice combs with the metal tines as they seem to remove more.
Comb the baby out several times a day, gently.
Until the umbilical cord is gone and healed over, I wouldn't give him a bath. Dawn dish soap is the one I see recommended most often.
Do NOT use any over-the-counter flea treatments for any cat, especially such a young kitten.

You must treat the area and linens too. Wash the bedding in hot water. If you are using a plastic tub, wipe it down with hot water. If it's a brown paper box, get a new one. Vaccum the area around the box or clean the tile with hot water if that's what you have it on. any areas where the kitten has been, such as sofas or beds, needs to be cleaned also.

Thank you for taking the baby in and taking such good care of him or her.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitty is absolutely gorgeous. Brings back memories of when Blossom came into my life a year ago when she was 3 weeks old. Keep up the good work. Have you looked up www.kitten-rescue.com It will tell you all the milestones up to 8-12 weeks old & how to look after a new born.