Update on Josh... he loves me, he loves me not....

helly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, he's doing much better. His curiosity and playfulness is back in full swing. Only problem is, he doesn't realize that he's not 100% yet.

My major problem is is that he keeps scratching off the scab. Everytime he starts to look better... he starts scratching like crazy.

I made him a temporary cone out of 12-pack box. I didn't have any paperplates. I'm going to have to stop at the clinic tomorrow and get a cone, I think. He's not lovin the temporary cone but I think he still loves me.

The sock just isn't working...I pull it up high and he pulls it down and scratches like crazy. I trimmed his back paws but it's not helping that much. I know as it heals it's got to be driving him crazy... I wonder if the vet can give him benedryl or something like it for the itching.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why don't you just buy your cat a cone? I bought one for $9.99 at the local pet store. My cat had an absess on her face earlier in the summer but she was treated by the vet. She was back to normal in a matter of weeks. Sometimes it's best to let professionals do their job.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

Why don't you just buy your cat a cone? I bought one for $9.99 at the local pet store. My cat had an absess on her face earlier in the summer but she was treated by the vet. She was back to normal in a matter of weeks. Sometimes it's best to let professionals do their job.
Josh was treated at the vet too, but didn't give me a cone because of where the opening is. She felt the edge of the cone would dig into the area and cause more of a problem. She also wanted to drain/stitch the area but estimated between $350 - $1000 to do it, and I unfortunately haven't a dime to my name. So I had to try and treat it at home...

Now that he's feeling better and healing, I feel he could tolerate a cone... The area was scabbing up nicely yesterday but he scratched it off so now I'm back to square one. That's why I made a homemade cone last night... it was sort of a drastic measure. I fully intend on getting him a cone today.

Thanks for the advice, though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I checked out the site when I got home today and it's already closed up. I can't believe my eyes!!

I stopped by the clinic today to pick up an e-collar, but I could tell by looking at it that it would sit too high up and he'd still be able to scratch the area so I didn't get it.

But my homemade tube collar did the trick! I'm so happy I could scream! I took it off so I could see and the site... it's closed up nicely with a little scab on it. So I put a little more bag balm on it and put the tube collar back on again. I trimmed it a bit so he'd be more comfortable, but I can't even tell you how pleased I am. I was wondering if it would ever seal up.... all it needed was a chance. Everyone kept telling me how fast cats heal and this just wasn't healing... now I know it was because of the scratchin.

Ahhhh... now I can relax.