What animals do you hear outside where you live?

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I hear an owl and it sounds pretty close!

For a couple years, we had a fox that would howl or bark or whatever it is they do, but I haven't heard it since Spring.

What's in your neck of the woods?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live out in the country where it's generally very quiet, so you can hear all kinds of animals, especially at night.

The wild animals we most often hear are coyotes (there are two seperate "packs" nearby, one of which lives in the woods behind our house), owls, hawks, bats, foxes, and raccoons.

We also hear a lot of domestic animals... dogs, cows, donkeys, horses, pigs and roosters.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frogs in the nearby corn field in the summer. Otherwise its just the normal dogs.

At our farm, we got the pleasure of hearing a snowy owl that was in the area for a few days

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can hear at night is the dog barking across the street. I occasionally see raccoons at night, but the only sound they make is when they're trying to get into the neighbors garbage can. During the day I can hear the birds and squirrels.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

We live out in the country where it's generally very quiet, so you can hear all kinds of animals, especially at night.

The wild animals we most often hear are coyotes (there are two seperate "packs" nearby, one of which lives in the woods behind our house), owls, hawks, bats, foxes, and raccoons.

We also hear a lot of domestic animals... dogs, cows, donkeys, horses, pigs and roosters.
Same here, just no farm animals sounds.
if you want smells, we seem to have lots of skunks this year, lol even a white one!!!!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We hear seagulls (lots), crows, raccoons, Canada Geese (they are loud), peacocks (from Beacon Hill Park), horses (horses & carriages), Black-Capped Chickadees, Robins, other songbirds, woodpeckers, and ducks.

We see seals, otters, falcons, and eagles but they are pretty quiet. Sometimes there are cougars around but I haven't seen one yet, which is good.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, apart from a plethora of sirens and speeding cars, some with, some without boomboxes, I hear possums (possi???), raccoons, dogs, mockingbirds, bluejays, sparrows, finches, hummingbirds, mourning doves, rock doves (pigeons), and on one occasion, a beautiful redtailed hawk! The cats, of course, are very quiet (mine stay indoors only)

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now we live in an apartment that has a beautiful park, river, and woods as the backyard. The other night when we came home we actually saw an owl on a tree right next to our door. It was beautiful and was frequently making noise. Other than that we typically hear racoons, armadillo, frogs, and alligators.

Where I grew up and where my parents still live had Tomoka State Park across the street and so not only would we HEAR these animals but we would have them in our front yard sometimes: wild turkeys, boar, armadillo, deer, moles, snakes, frogs, owls, woodpeckers

Love all those sounds

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont like hearing owls. . . I was always told that hearing an owl hoot outside your home was an omen of death, and the scary part is it has been horribly accurate. . .

I dont really hear much at night . . . my own cat playing with her toys in the kitchen is about it. . .

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last week about 5 AM I heard coyotes howling, I jumped straight out of bed and the cats were pacing in front of the picture window facing the back. The flood lights were on and I couldnt see any coyotes, but we could hear the howling.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We can hear coyotes, finches, doves, crickets...and ELK! The elk will start calling at about 11 p.m. and continue until past dawn! It's amazing.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we hear lots of birds, neighbourhood dogs, and sometimes we hear the bears, tipping over garbage cans, in the park across the street. our neighbourhood backs on to the forest. sometimes we see deer or moose

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are out in the country. We hear Coyotes howling sometimes and owls. There is one bird that I am trying to figure out what it is. It is nocturnal obviously. This bird will occasionally perch itself on top of our chimney (which leads to the fire place in our Master) at 3 a.m. It sits there squawking for about an hour before it flies off. Talk about annoying.
Also crickets, frogs and cicadas.