Cleaning Silver

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here know a good way to clean silver at home? I have this beautiful yet delicate Tiffany's bracelet and it's gotten all yucky these past few weeks. They do a cleaning and polish at the store but they want to charge like $14 to do it. Crazy if you ask me. I know there's household stuff one can use but I only know the one for cleaning diamonds and gold.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a jar of 'dip' at Walmart (about $4) for my sterling jewelry. I just put the jewelry into the tray in the jar, lower it into the liquid and swirl it around for a minute, then rinse with water. It stinks to high heaven, but it cleans the tarnish off really quickly. I also bought one for gold jewelry. I found it at the jewelry counter.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can make your own jewellery dip cleaner.

1 aluminum foil pie plate
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespon of Calgon water softener powder (use baking soda if you can't find Calgon)
Add some near boiling water
Stir

Dip your jewellery. The process is pretty instant if you use Calgon. If you use Baking Soda you might have to let the jewellery sit for a few minutes.

NOTE: Do not use this on precious stones or antiqued jewellery. Works great for plain silver jewellery and cuttlery and silver coffee pots etc.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You can make your own jewellery dip cleaner.

1 aluminum foil pie plate
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespon of Calgon water softener powder (use baking soda if you can't find Calgon)
Add some near boiling water
Stir

Dip your jewellery. The process is pretty instant if you use Calgon. If you use Baking Soda you might have to let the jewellery sit for a few minutes.

NOTE: Do not use this on precious stones or antiqued jewellery. Works great for plain silver jewellery and cuttlery and silver coffee pots etc.
This does work but I was told by an engineer that if your silver is only "plated", eventually this method will take the silver plating off completely in spots so be sure it is solid silver before using this method.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

This does work but I was told by an engineer that if your silver is only "plated", eventually this method will take the silver plating off completely in spots so be sure it is solid silver before using this method.
I'll have to try that. Thanks. Boy I hope this bracelet isn't "plated" or Tiffany's is going to get a very strongly worded letter from myself and my bf.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SIlver cleaner really stinks to me so I use baking soda, toothbrush, warm water and wash cloth. It works great and it has no smell.