Under Eye Dark Circles?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK I'm really sick of the dark circles under my eyes. It seems that no matter what sort of concealer or foundation i use, they're ALWAYS there.

I've been using one under eye cream that was suppose to help wrinkles in addition to dark circles, but after 3 months, there hasn't been a change.

Has anyone used any creams or fixins of any kind to help reduce the dark circles?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried a lot of stuff, if you find anything that works, please let me now.
I don't have just circles, I have dark bags

Getting old ain't fer wimps

leesestyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i hear if you steep chamomile tea bags a few minutes in hot water then refrigerate them and put them on your eyes, it helps. i can't vouch for that because i've never tried it but this stuff TOTALLY works! i use it every day, couldn't live without it!! benefit "boing" ....it's won a million awards of best concealer in the "allure" and "instyle" best products search and it seriously lives up to the hype! a bit pricey but it lasts foreverrrrr. a little goes a very long way. if one application doesn't work, a good trick (and this works well with any concealer) is, after you put on a light application, dust very lightly with your loose or pressed powder then apply another application. then follow with your base (if you wear it). you have to be extremely light-handed or it will look heavy but there's something about the layering that really does the trick.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...ategoryId=5333

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is genetic in my family - the blood vessles under the skin are closer to the surface under the eyes, and the skin there is paper-thin.

I joke that the bags under my eyes are carrying suitcases, and I NEVER try to hide them.

Your very best bet is to simply try to get more rest. Take comfort in the fact that you are alive to complain about the dark circles under your eyes. It really is a little thing when you think about how much worse off you could be.

For example, I would much rather have dark circles/bags under my eyes than: ____________________(fill in the blank.)

I found that my list got quite long, so I stopped caring about the darkness under my eyes and learned to appreciate the good things about my face: I can see, I can smile - with BOTH sides of my face (having experienced two bouts of paralysis from Belle's Palsy, this means a GREAT deal to me,) I can blink, I can wink.

Lines, wrinkles, blotches - they are all marks of a life well-lived.
Embrace your dark circles, for they prove that your blood continues to circulate through your veins.

OK, wow, that was a bit preachy, wasn't it!
I'll go away now...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll never be able to cover up dark circles with standard cover up and foundation. You need to use a colour corrective concealer such as those found at these links:

http://www.cosmetics4less.net/acatal...ler-guide.html

Smash Box

http://search.ulta.com/cosmetics/Red Concealer

Green gets rid of ruddiness in the skin. Blue will conceal the dark circles and blemishes. Mauve evens out the overall skin tone.

I don't wear make up very often but when I do I always use a colour corrector in problem areas first, then apply my regular cover up over top and then my foundation.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Slice one small piece off of a potato, and cut the slice in half. Put each slice under your eyes and leave them under your eyes for 20 minutes.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have this problem also, I could sleep for 20 years and they don't go away
I don't worry too much about them cause they never look obvious in pics, I don't wear concealer, just foundation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...thanks for your suggestions!

I don't know if its hereditary...non of my siblings, or my dad, my mom has them, but not as bad as I do. They could be more allergies...the only time I didn't have them was my first and second year in college...where there were no animals.

Yes, I understand that I'll still live with dark circles, but *sigh* its not easy being a perfectionist
I obsessed about ridiculous things.

Maybe I'll try the cucumbers first...we have some in our back yard.
and then work myself up from there.

leesestyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I don't know if its hereditary...non of my siblings, or my dad, my mom has them, but not as bad as I do. They could be more allergies...the only time I didn't have them was my first and second year in college...where there were no animals.

Yes, I understand that I'll still live with dark circles, but *sigh* its not easy being a perfectionist

make sure the cucumbers are cold!

ps: you cat is gorgeous!

pss: are you getting married? i saw the "bridezilla in training" comment on your profile. congratulations!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by leesestyle

make sure the cucumbers are cold!

ps: you cat is gorgeous!

pss: are you getting married? i saw the "bridezilla in training" comment on your profile. congratulations!!
Thanks! I'll let Luna know

Yes the plans are still set for next summer. Unfortunatley though I have to get a new slogan...I can't get Bridezillas out here...Comcast doesn't carry the WE network here
I wrote them wondering how I can be a true Bridezilla without viewing them

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

There are lots of reasons for dark circles. However regardless of the reason for having them, the darkness results from the capillaries under the skin...like a bruise. Age and thinning of the skin is also a factor because as we age our skin becomes thinner and the capillaries beneathe are more noticable.

If you are looking to treat the dark circles instead of covering them up with make up, then pick up a tube of "Preparation H". It's not just for bums! It's a vasoconstrictor which means that it will shrink the veins and capillaries in the area it's applied making them less noticable. You can also use it on your visible legs veins. Just gently pat on a small amount under the eye being careful to avoid the eye itself. Don't rub! Rubbing stretches the skin. And if you are more comfortable with rubbing than patting, use a very light touch, like a butterfly

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our doctor calls them "allergy shiners." He said that dark circles under the eyes are due to allergic reactions. I had never heard that before, but maybe it's something to look into.

When our daughter got two spider bites (she's very allergic to ordinary spiders) the skin under her eyes went really dark, it was pretty scary! After some Benadryl, the swelling of the bites when down and the dark went away.

If you are continually exposed to an allergen, you could have perpetual dark circles. Hope this helps.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

There are lots of reasons for dark circles. However regardless of the reason for having them, the darkness results from the capillaries under the skin...like a bruise. Age and thinning of the skin is also a factor because as we age our skin becomes thinner and the capillaries beneathe are more noticable.

If you are looking to treat the dark circles instead of covering them up with make up, then pick up a tube of "Preparation H". It's not just for bums! It's a vasoconstrictor which means that it will shrink the veins and capillaries in the area it's applied making them less noticable. You can also use it on your visible legs veins. Just gently pat on a small amount under the eye being careful to avoid the eye itself. Don't rub! Rubbing stretches the skin. And if you are more comfortable with rubbing than patting, use a very light touch, like a butterfly
My mom uses that trick and I must say it works wonders for her. I've never tried it but I have the same problem. The bags and circles make it look like I'm constantly tired even when I get a ton of sleep.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had dark circles since I was in my teens (maybe earlier, I just don't remember). Doctors have said allergies cause them. My sister has really bad allergies and really bad dark circles, so there may be something to it. I've never been able to successfully conceal them, but I find that if I use a slightly darker shade than my foundation, it helps some. Frankly, though, I've gotten to an age that I don't care very much about it.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Are you anemic? I'm severely so; the doc told me the dark cirlces can be a sign of it. I use a liquid concealer, but it never totally conceals them. I also have deep sockets in that part of my eye area, so I think this it the problem, too.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I was the only one with dark bags under my eyes! Mine are awful!! It bothers me that everyone else can see them also because I don't wear makeup. I can sleep all I want and it doesn't go away. I've been using Lacome High resolution eye creme. It's suppose to be one of the best.