Curious

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having just renewed my truck registration, I was curious as to what the ballpark renewal costs were in other states.

Any US posters care to share?

Mine were $90 last year (had to buy new plates, every 7 years by state law), this year, just tabs, $66.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live in CA. mine's around $80 every year.
I think it's more for newer vehicles?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure of the exact price, but in MN its higher for newer cars/trucks. Pretty cheap if the vehicle is about 10 yrs old

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubbys car is a 2005 and we just got his sticker for his plates(just the sticker now mind you nothing else) for $215.00.

For my car a 94 it only costs me about $40.00.

This is every year, but each year it goes down a little bit so I'm not sure how they actually figure out the amount you pay for your car. We never have to get new plates unless we loose ours.

His is a Honda Element and mine's a Tracer though. I think they classify his as an suv.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had to get new tabs on my car (just the stickers) and it was about $100.00 - my car is a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix - pretty spendy for stickers!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! That's interesting that newer cars cost more in other areas! In my county, which doesn't have wheel tax, it costs 36.00. I've never had a vehicle newer than 5 yr, but others that have new ones pay the same price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My truck is regeistered as an out of state, Washington vehicle.
Registration used to fluctuate based on age, now it's a flat fee, but they are considering going back to age based fees, which are pretty silly.
If a car passes emissions, or is exempt from them, and is within passenger vehicle weigt range, the fees should all be the same.

Before the flat fee was implemented, my truck tabs were $400 a year + $25 for emissions testing every 2 years.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had to get my new sticker last week I paid $24. I didnt realize it was that expensive some places! I guess part of it is where we only have to have to get 1 tag.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, only rear tag for me too, it used to be front and back, but they changed.
I'm not sure when they started the stupid mandatory new plates every 7 years though.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well mine are like $100 in something for my plates... I've got a 2003 Jeep Liberty in Indiana.. To steep for my blood..

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been a while, but I think I remember paying in between 40 and 60 for mine...sorry I don't have an exact price!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours is $75 for new stickers every year on your birthday, and I think anither $75 every 5 years or so when you actually renew the license.

This year I have the double whammy..so I'll be out $140
A week before Christmas!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Ours is $75 for new stickers every year on your birthday, and I think anither $75 every 5 years or so when you actually renew the license.

This year I have the double whammy..so I'll be out $140
A week before Christmas!
You just reminded me that DH and I both have to get our drivers licenses renewed. They expire both next month and Dec.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reminder...I have to "officially" move to NJ...I think for my honda civic it's $85 for plates. Either that or $50...depending on if my civic is weighed at more than 3500 lbs.

In Michigan I paid $87.

I think my parents paid about $200 for both their SUVs...one new and one old.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm note quite sure of the exact amount but I thought for plate renewals for autos its around $60??.
As for trucks it depends what license class you get and groos vehicle weight-I'm thinking its about $77. I would like to change to dual purpose farm plates as they are about $20 cheaper/yr.
Also you can renew online/in person at the DMV for an extra $2 fee or so.