Those with diabetes

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question, A co worker in germany, said his doctor told him to take alpha lipoic acid, so i thought i would try, i have been taking 1200 mg a day for hmm about a year now.....

I have found that it does lower my blood surger, as a result, i have to take less of meds, I told my doctor this, who asked me to do some research, and let him know, SO i gave him 4 months of me, taking it and not talking, FOr me it helps,, I just wonder if any else have ever given this a try?

down side is do get alot of low blood surger reactions,,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/a...oic-000285.htm

"Diabetes

Several studies suggest that treatment with ALA may help reduce pain, burning, itching, tingling, and numbness in people who have nerve damage (called peripheral neuropathy) caused by diabetes. Alpha-lipoic acid has been used for years for this purpose in Europe. Other studies have shown that alpha-lipoic acid speeds the removal of glucose (sugar) from the blood of people with diabetes and that this antioxidant may prevent kidney damage associated with diabetes in animals. "

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish i could help, but i don't have any knowledge on the topic! I hope you find someone who is able to help though!
(if it's working for you without any adverse side effects...or they're minimum- i would talk to the doc about keeping it up, but definitely research and see if you can find anything on long term side effects/etc.)

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting! I am taking NAC and GSH (for my lungs and liver- I have Cystic Fibrosis) and it is supposed to help some too, with the diabetes, though mine is slightly different, as it is CF Related Diabetes (CFRD) and not type 1 or type 2, specifically. I'll post it on my CF forums, and see what they know. The protection against kidney damage is interesting too, as we can have issues from that with all the antibiotics we take... Thanks for the link!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of this usage, but thanks for sharing it -- I'll ask my doctor next time I see him! I've been using cinnamon supplements for the same purpose, but I haven't kept good records, so I can't tell how well it works.

By the way, I just learned today that doing double-red blood donations, as I've been doing for awhile now, can cause your glucose readings to appear considerably lower than they actually are. Up to 16% difference, they say.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
doctor tend not to agree with the use of supplments, But yep cimmion will help also, but i have found the alpha lipoic acid, to work better.

did not know about the blood donations thing, but then again they dont want my blood.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! B is just on the good ole' shots, the short term and the long term insulin.

That's very interesting though as he does have nerve damage in the back and in the last year will feel strange burning in his legs and feet...however I just noticed it was nerve damage by diabetes...this is nerve damage from being in the Army. I wonder if it would still help though...

Based on your statement about the lows, I bet that's why it isn't advertised too much.

Out of curiousity what was your normal blood sugar range? B's is usually 250-300 (he can't stay away from the carbs...)

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Wow! B is just on the good ole' shots, the short term and the long term insulin.

That's very interesting though as he does have nerve damage in the back and in the last year will feel strange burning in his legs and feet...however I just noticed it was nerve damage by diabetes...this is nerve damage from being in the Army. I wonder if it would still help though...

Based on your statement about the lows, I bet that's why it isn't advertised too much.

Out of curiousity what was your normal blood sugar range? B's is usually 250-300 (he can't stay away from the carbs...)
lol i sound alot like you bf , i am sorry to say, the strange feeling in my legs(burning, or i will feel like water running down my legs, or that i am standing in water etc) comes my back issue, if i lay down , those go away. sitting make them worse... of course what do i do all day for a living.

last 4 a1c test, i was at the upper end of the normal range. Fasting i am 130 normaly, i am still bad about some foods, but some of time after meals, and couple of hours i am back down to 150 with in 3 hours 100. So how still alittle high, its not bad. with the alpha lipoic acid, lots of days i dont need the meds the doc gives me.

with is blood surger levels he is going to run into issue, nerve damange, kidney damange, etc. he needs to stop those