What the hell do i do??

devine^brunet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Guys,

I posted a thread about my car having a bald patch under his arm pit...

I took him to the vet and they said nothing to be concerned about he just got bitten my something and it irritated him.

She had given me 1weeks worth of medication called TRIBESSEN she show me how to hold his head to give him this pill, look all easy keeping in my she had given him an anti-flametry injection which calmed him down.

I got home and tried it, didnt run so smoothly but i still got it in.

Now that his cottoned on to what im doing there is no chance in hell of me getting it down his throat.

I have tried putting it in food but his not stupid!

This pill is extremly bitter which makes he foam from the mouth if it isnt put down his throat instantly.

I called the vet and they dont know what to do...

Any suggestions

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always had luck giving pills with food. I make sure the cat is hungry, no food till he takes the pill! Then I wrap the pill in the food...about 1/2 teaspoon. It will go down quickly! Its messy on your fingers, but it works for me.

You can also go to your local pet store and pick up something called Pill Pockets. You slip the pill inside and give the cat the treat.

Good luck!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

...You can also go to your local pet store and pick up something called Pill Pockets. You slip the pill inside and give the cat the treat....
Pill Pockets worked great for Oberon, but only for about three weeks. Not a good solution for him since he needs the meds for life.

When I was giving him half a pill, I could hollow out a Temptations Treat and stuff the half-pill in and he'd eat that every time. Good luck!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
pill pockets and stuffing the pills into treats only worked w bea for a little while. she caught on pretty quick.

after that i had better luck smashing up the pill and mixing it in with water and gave it to her in a syringe...

good luck, medicine time for kitties can be nerve racking!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try coating the pill with some butter. Most times all I did was put the cat on the counter, scruff the back of the neck and open their mouth and shove the pill down the back of the throat.

Trick is you have to be quick. Might help if you have one person hold the cat still.

If the pill is crushable, then try crushing it up and mixing it with some tuna oil and a very small spoonful of food and mix well. I had to do that with one of my cats cause the throat way didn't work for her.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the pill is crushable, then try crushing it up and mixing it with some tuna oil and a very small spoonful of food and mix well. .
That's what I do for Taco. He takes Lysine daily, and that's the only way I can get him to take it. I mix it into the "gravy" of his canned food.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's all in how quickley you do it and your approach. Have the pill in your hand and coating it with butter is an excellent idea, although I have never done that before. Then get the cat situated in front of you, scratch him, pet him, love on him, get him purring and say good boy and everything. Then with your hand that is petting him, scruff the back of the throat, lift the front legs off the ground but leave the back ones in place, tilt the head back (at this point the mouth is usually loose or even slightly open). Then use your fingernail of the hand with the pill in it to pry the mouth open further and shove the pill to the back of the throat.

Do this very quickley and praise and pet before and after, give treats afterwards too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the pills are that bitter it might be a good idea to get the pill pockets, just in case you don't get the pill down on the first time. Hopefully the less he tastes of the pills, the easier it will be to get them down him on future doses.

If your cat's a fighter you can always try wrapping him in a towel, make sure it's somewhat tight around the shoulders so the front feet can't slip out. Also, it's even easier if you have another person to help.
This is how I have to do it with Tomas, he's a little brat when it comes to getting meds in him.
Luckily, Jen's method works on Sho.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck, pilling can be a nightmare.
Just a word of caution, because I am always worried about it...make sure your nails are cut short if you decide to put the pill in the back of his throat so you don't cut your kitty's mouth accidentally. Good luck.

Pill pockets worked for Merlynn for a whole DAY. Wow. The second day I had to put a tiny piece of tuna on it and she ate it right up. Thankfully I only had to give her a few pills.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Pill Pockets. I put the pill inside, pinch off as much excess as I can and roll it into a ball. Then I bury it in their wet food. They gobble it up without even noticing it.