tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John Petrucci Signature Ernie Ball/Music Man 7-string guitar - $2,195

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige 8-string guitar - $1500

Washburn X37 7-string guitar - $199.99 was $549.99

Ibanez STW limited edition 6/7-string double neck guitar - $3299.99

John Petrucci Signature Ernie Ball/Music Man 12/6-string double neck guitar - $899.99

I'm wondering if any of you Have an opinion of what guitar i should get next. I currently have 3 guitars (1 acoustic, 1 6-string electric, 1 7-string electric) but I want another 7-string or more so if any of you have any advice it would be very much appreciated.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with one of the Ibanez or an ESP/LTD.
I have an ESP Viper and DH has an Ibanez.

If you want a jazzy sound (W/O effects pedal) I would go with the Ibanez.
For more of a rock or "crunch" go with an ESP.

Where are you purchasing from?

I would recommend going to Sam Ash. They offer a 2-year service/warranty plan for $20.00 more.
They will set-up, restring, and service (including fret work also) for free when you buy the plan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly there's no Sam Ash here but we do have a few amazing music stores like Long&McQuade and B Sharp Music. However they rarely have any custom or signature guitars so I will have to special order the one I choose to get.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some it depends on what style of music you like to play, and the sound that come out.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part I play progressive metal. But really I can get almost any sound from any guitar with my Mesa Boogie Cabinet Amp. It has a small array of effects built right into the amp. It has everything from an acoustic setting to a wah wah effect to a flanger to a phaser etc.. My 7-string Ibanez is what I primarily use for heavy stuff even though my B.C. Rich Virgin 6-string is more of a heavy metal guitar. With any of the guitars I have listed I should be able to get almost any sound with a little bit of tweaking.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever been to the chat forum on the Gretsch website? They're all Gretsch fans, of course, but most of them are into lots of other brands as well, and it's a very sharp group of people. You might look for some advice there, too.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Have you ever been to the chat forum on the Gretsch website? They're all Gretsch fans, of course, but most of them are into lots of other brands as well, and it's a very sharp group of people. You might look for some advice there, too.
I've been there a couple of times. I'm not a member but I lurk around there every once in a while. I have a couple other places that I posted about the guitars so I'll just wait and see what everyone says.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Progressive rock? You ever try a Rickenbacker?

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For the price range you are looking at I would consider a PRS(Paul Reed Smith). A few years back my DH owned one, from what I remember it was the best one he owned. It was a lower end Artist series. Not only did it hold the best tone but the craftsmenship is amazing. If we had the money we would definately only buy PRS.

I don't know if they make a seven string though. They are well worth loking at.

http://www.prsguitars.com/