Hiding in the Corner When Wet

johntkucz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eath, MilkyWayGalaxy, LocalGroup, SuperVirgoCluste
My cat -- after a bath, when she's sopping wet -- always goes and hides in the corner, and curls up, like "she's been bad" or something.

I noticed other cats do this, too. Any correlation with cats being wet and going to corners?? Like a defensive thing, a regaining body temperature thing?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, to be honest, you should poll all cats to be sure. But from the ignorant human standpoint, yeah, I think you're probably right -- she's probably feeling very small and scared, as well as wet and uncomfortable, which all adds up to embarrassed, wanting to hide, and besides, "never sit with your back to the door". Just makes sense, doesn't it?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no clue, but come to think of it, Charlie seems to go in the corner after his bath till I put him in the library room to dry. Then he normally gets in the soft chair and drys himself.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What am I missing here? I've had many cats for many years, but have never ever given one a bath, even though most have been outside (on leads in the yard) in summer. WHY are you all bathing your cats? They do that themselves. If one were to have accidentally gotten into something really bad that didn't brush out, or stuck, or stank, I could understand it on a one time basis, but otherwise? Cats may like to play with water, but they hate baths, and it removes oil from their fur that they need to keep it sleek, and I just don't get it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie is a show cat. Most of my cats were show cats (HHP or pedigree). Even tho Ling is not shown any more (one time showing), I still give her a bath a few times a year.

Not ALL cats hate baths - Charlie likes them and so did my rex, Spooky. Using the proper shampoo/conditioner doesn't make their coats dry.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

What am I missing here? I've had many cats for many years, but have never ever given one a bath, even though most have been outside (on leads in the yard) in summer. WHY are you all bathing your cats? They do that themselves. If one were to have accidentally gotten into something really bad that didn't brush out, or stuck, or stank, I could understand it on a one time basis, but otherwise? Cats may like to play with water, but they hate baths, and it removes oil from their fur that they need to keep it sleek, and I just don't get it.
If that works for you, that's fine. But plenty of people give their cats baths. And some cats even like water. What you wrote sounds just a bit judgmental, though perhaps you didn't intend it that way.

John, I agree with the answers above about the cat feeling exposed, defenseless, embarrassed, and uncomfortable. A cat's scent is a critical part of their self-awareness. When you bath them, you remove their scent. They just want to go somewhere where they can feel somewhat secure while they reestablish their own scent by grooming themselves. And if you like bathing your cats, that's fine. I don't think you need to do if very often, though. I bathe mine maybe three, maybe four times a year. Their fur gets a bit "greasy" after a while. More from my petting them than anything else, I think. And afterward I put them in a room alone so they can groom for a while without being bugged by the other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

johntkucz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Well, to be honest, you should poll all cats to be sure. But from the ignorant human standpoint, yeah, I think you're probably right -- she's probably feeling very small and scared, as well as wet and uncomfortable, which all adds up to embarrassed, wanting to hide, and besides, "never sit with your back to the door". Just makes sense, doesn't it?
Yes, it does make sense that "small and scared" would lead to feeling embarassed (combined wtih uncomfortable and wet), causing her to hide out of humiliation, but it's just weird witnessing a cat displaying such a human quality -- "embarassment"! What is the cat embarassed about? I mean animals are naked, they don't have to worry about "reputations" or "image",
it certainly LOOKS like she's embarassed but the fact that she feels that seems a little advanced. Another explanation is she's warmer in the corner, but the fact taht she alays FACES the corner, implies humiliation. I mean, jealousy I guess occurs with cats, as does, frustration (obviously) but embarassment is a socially or professionally "unacceptable" state in front of others. What's unacceptable of being wet after being in water? Okay, I should respect that she feels embarassed about her appearance, though. I love my cat; she's so prissy, weird, and hysterical! I mean, what about forgiveness? Can animals feel forgiveness? I don't think so, I think they just forget and move on. Interesting topic.

johntkucz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The exception happened (something gross in the fur) and you gotta stay clean. Cat cleaning and hygiene is a priority for the human and the cat.

johntkucz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I have no clue, but come to think of it, Charlie seems to go in the corner after his bath till I put him in the library room to dry. Then he normally gets in the soft chair and drys himself.
This sounds like embarassment (that their furs messy?) but seems ridiculous a cat could feel like that. But embarassment or "warmer in the corner" seem like the only possible 2 explanations.

johntkucz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

If that works for you, that's fine. But plenty of people give their cats baths. And some cats even like water. What you wrote sounds just a bit judgmental, though perhaps you didn't intend it that way.

John, I agree with the answers above about the cat feeling exposed, defenseless, embarrassed, and uncomfortable. A cat's scent is a critical part of their self-awareness. When you bath them, you remove their scent. They just want to go somewhere where they can feel somewhat secure while they reestablish their own scent by grooming themselves. And if you like bathing your cats, that's fine. I don't think you need to do if very often, though. I bathe mine maybe three, maybe four times a year. Their fur gets a bit "greasy" after a while. More from my petting them than anything else, I think. And afterward I put them in a room alone so they can groom for a while without being bugged by the other cats.
Ahhh! Now this makes sense with cat biology. It's the "scent" the loss of scent that makes them feel insecure. IT's just WEIRD as heck to think of an animal feel embarassed and defenseless because of water and the fact that her fur "got wet" doesn't really make sense, but the loss of scent (maybe a twinge of "loss of identity") could make an impact of sorts. That I understand.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

WHY are you all bathing your cats? They do that themselves. If one were to have accidentally gotten into something really bad that didn't brush out, or stuck, or stank, I could understand it on a one time basis, but otherwise?
Ringworm, motor oil, grease, diarrhea mess, pee, skunk spay, fleas, etc. I've dealt with more nasty stuff on cats then I would like.
Also some people have allergies and bathing their cats really helps. Otherwise, unless one of mine really stinks, I'm in no hurry to give myself a backache or stress the cat. Note: pick up dirty socks if your cat has a habit of rolling on them...

Past cats never really hid in a corner exactly, either they sat and dried themselves (usually on something you don't want damp cat on) or sat under the table.
Because Sho's fur is rather thick, I do my best to get him dry before letting him out of the bathroom. By that time he's fine with it and usually in a somewhat playful mood.
I have no idea what Tomas will do after, he'll likely march around complaining at me.

johntkucz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Ringworm, motor oil, grease, diarrhea mess, pee, skunk spay, fleas, etc. I've dealt with more nasty stuff on cats then I would like.
Also some people have allergies and bathing their cats really helps. Otherwise, unless one of mine really stinks, I'm in no hurry to give myself a backache or stress the cat. Note: pick up dirty socks if your cat has a habit of rolling on them...

Past cats never really hid in a corner exactly, either they sat and dried themselves (usually on something you don't want damp cat on) or sat under the table.
Because Sho's fur is rather thick, I do my best to get him dry before letting him out of the bathroom. By that time he's fine with it and usually in a somewhat playful mood.
I have no idea what Tomas will do after, he'll likely march around complaining at me.
yeah cats can collect all types of add "coat covers" thanks to their awesome curiosity.

Okay, cool. Sounds like it's just a funny personality preference thing of cats.

Your tomas and sho cats look so cute and happy on that silk picture!