Sounds like a sitcom to me!

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to share with you all the complete MAYHEM that has been my work environment the last few weeks!

Seriously, if I wasn't there and someone just told me about it...I would think that it had to be some kind of television sitcom!!

I work at an inpatient substance abuse program as a counselor in a mental health agency. The agency has decided to do some "restructuring." Three weeks ago my amazing supervisor says that he's moving on and won't be with the agency anymore. The agency tells us that they haven't rehired his position and so not only are we understaffed for counselors but now our old bosses job is open and all of his responsibilities are being divvied up between the 4 of us until someone is hired.

Skip ahead to the beginning of last week. Roofers have been at my job site for the last few weeks. SUPPOSEDLY, they were done with the women's wing of our program. 2am last Monday night, one of our counselors office ceilings CAVES IN, as does the empty women's room next to it. Skip to Friday, early in the morning (luckily after everyone was already awake and out of their rooms) a roofer literally comes crashing THROUGH the roof and onto one of the women's beds!!!! Mind you...this is the side they already had supposedly "finished."

Cut to yesterday, with supervisor having been gone for a whole week now we're all not only choking on the smell of tar and mold from the lovely roofing job, but we're running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to keep up with everything! As I'm facilitating a group the fire alarm goes off. Surprise, surprise, the roofers cut the sprinkler system and the hallway outside of my office and the area right next to my desk now have sprinklers spraying water everywhere. Roofers come and clean that mess up, but my ceiling is totally drenched. One hour later I go back into my office only to find that MY roof has now collapsed!!! I HAD to laugh. There's really no other way to respond.

So, as we frantically attempt to keep up with all of the extra work while still doing our jobs as counselors, the roofers are slowly but surely bringing the whole roof down!!!
It's a DISASTER!

I just wanted to share that. Now picture it all happening with some sarcastic wit and great physical comedy. I think it would make for a great comedy.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my!
That does sound like a sitcom! I hope everything gets settled quickly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Oh my!
That does sound like a sitcom! I hope everything gets settled quickly
They're working on it, though I don't know how much relief that should be when looking at their track record!!
Seriously I just laugh through it though. It's so much fun to be able to tell people that my roof caved in on my desk. The expressions on people faces are priceless.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like something that would happen to me!

You work in an inpatient clinic for mental health? I work in one thats outpatient!

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Sounds like something that would happen to me!

You work in an inpatient clinic for mental health? I work in one thats outpatient!
Oh really?? Very cool. I love the work. It's challenging but I really don't think you can get a job that's more interesting.
What population do you work with?

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Wow! That's just crazy!

Have you checked the office plants for hidden cameras?
That's not such a bad idea. I might just need to do some snooping!

I can't even imagine what the client's who have just come in must be thinking!! I'm sure they never anticipated THIS!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully Lucy and Ethel up there get things under control soon!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that's all crazy! I hope they get the roof fixed for you there. I'd be ready to move my desk into a tent!

Off topic, my cousin is working on her masters to become a mental health counselor. She just moved too so she's trying to find a job where she can get some experience and what not. I worked with a lot of clients who had mental disabilities on my last job so we 'talk shop a lot.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Oh that's all crazy! I hope they get the roof fixed for you there. I'd be ready to move my desk into a tent!

Off topic, my cousin is working on her masters to become a mental health counselor. She just moved too so she's trying to find a job where she can get some experience and what not. I worked with a lot of clients who had mental disabilities on my last job so we 'talk shop a lot.
Where is she living right now? It's always fun talking to other people who have a similar background professionally as you.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

These roofers... are there three of them, and is the leader named Mo?
Originally Posted by clixpix

Hopefully Lucy and Ethel up there get things under control soon!
Whoever they are, they're pretty spectacular....that's for sure!

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

She lives in Upstate New York.
Very pretty area. I'm actually about to switch my positions within the agency. I've been working as a substance abuse counselor but as of Monday I'll be a day treatment counselor for our program that works with the severe and persistently mentally ill. I'm a little nervous about the switch!!!