Life just gets better...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, so I had another echocardiogram a couple of weeks ago to make sure my heart was still behaving itself (I have an aortic aneurysm for those who don't know).

They compared it to previous echo I've had done at the clinic over the last 18 months and they determined that my aneurysm has grown a small amount and was at it's largest late at my last echo before we lost Joshua - so pregnancy had caused it to grow.

So they want me to get my aneurysm fixed before I go through another pregnancy. I went and saw the cardiac surgeon today and we booked in a date to get it fixed.

So I'll be getting open heart surgery to fix my aneurysm on January 3. It sounds a lot worse than it is... It's long surgery (about 8 hours), and they have to crack my chest open and put me on a heart bypass machine, but I'm kind of excited...

Apparently recovery isn't painful, just extremely exhausting, within 6-8 weeks you're feeling pretty good, and by 12 weeks there's no restrictions - ie. I can do as much exercise as I want which I can't do at the moment and haven't been able to do in 3 years because of my heart
I can finally live a normal life again. Once we finally get our babies, I'll be able to run around once the kids get older

So that's the latest chapter in my drama of a life...

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww!!

I must admit that your surgery sounds kinda scary..but I am sure you will do just fine

Many many many for you!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, darlin... I'm sorry you have to go through this. But won't it be wonderful to know it's been fixed and you're stronger and safer? My father had a six-way bypass at 82, and he bounced back just amazingly well. You're so young, I know you'll do great!

And you know all of us here will be right behind you all the way, too.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you'll be having it fixed.

My folks have both had open heart surgery, and both were up and about in a relatively short time.
My mother commented that she'd take open heart surgery over another hip replacement any day.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and send many vibes.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds scary, but you've always got the fact that you'll be able to do whatever you want, you won't have this anuerysm to slow you down...to help you bounce back quickly!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like no fun to go through, but it sounds like once it's done things will be great for you! We will deffinately be praying for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

My father had a six-way bypass at 82, and he bounced back just amazingly well. You're so young, I know you'll do great!
Originally Posted by Arlyn

My folks have both had open heart surgery, and both were up and about in a relatively short time.
My mother commented that she'd take open heart surgery over another hip replacement any day.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and send many vibes.
Yeah, thats just it - people a lot older have it done and do well, so I'm not too worried. My cardiac surgeon is one of the best in the world at this type of surgery, and the risks are very very low.

I'll be living on this site in January while recovering probably...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I'll be living on this site in January while recovering probably...
Erm, I mean....nope, that's what I mean!
We will look forward to you being around more....

I can just see Nurse Smudge....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Erm, I mean....nope, that's what I mean!
We will look forward to you being around more....

I can just see Nurse Smudge....
Yes Nurse Smudge will be my big worry - she won't be allowed near me!!!! Given that they have to break my sternum, then wire it back shut, and Smudge loves jumping on chests...

I might have to sleep in the spare room just so she can continue to snuggle with her daddy

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at it this way you will have a cool scar to explain to people! My grandmother had an aneurysm fixed a few years back and did very well. I have had heart surgery, but I had mine at 1 week old but mine was for something completely different. But I get asked often about my scar and its kinda cool explaining it to them!

Good luck with your surgery!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the surgery! I'm glad that you are finally getting it repaired.

It is a scary surgery to have and I'm glad to hear that you have a fine surgeon to do it.

Sending you lots and lots of good vibes! And so are my kitties!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As they say, one door closes and another opens...many good for you. I'm sure you'll have a successful surgery and all your friends here at TCS will be ready to entertain you during your recovery.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww... sweetie!

I know everything will go just fine when you go in to have it done.

If you are on TCS all the time in January we won't mind, in fact, we'd kind of like it.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well its good to know that you are going to get your health problem fixed.
Perhaps you can wear one of those things baseball catchers wear to protect your chest??

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that is so wonderful that you are able to get it fixed!!
a new year and a brand new start