Dirty poo-ey bottom dragged along the ground

calamus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My British shorthair Bertie is six months old. He's always been no trouble, quite a stay at home boy. He has always used the litter tray very diligently, although he's never been very good at scraping the litter granules to cover his poo. However, he has just begun a fairly distressing phase. He does a huge dump in the litter tray and ends up about once every two days with a bottom covered in poo and with bits of litter clump sticking to it. He then flounces out of the kitchen and into the rest of the house leaving little poo-covered clumps of litter, and occasionally smearing his bottom on the carpet leaving very distressing brown patches.

It's by no means every time - most of the time his bottom is clean. But it is now happening regularly. He does wash regularly but he doesn't seem to tackle these bottom incidents.

Some other contexts: he joined the house when Pippa, my tabby, was a year old. Disappointingly, they haven't got on that well but as far as I can see she gets stressed and he seems very placid about it.

To my eyes, it doesn't look like a behavioural problem owing to stress or changing circumstances - he is always an unconcerned, relaxed little chap. I am worried that he is also just a dirty chap with a poor sense of personal hygiene.

Can anyone offer any advice? How can I get him to take his hygiene seriously? I don't know how to cope with these smears of poo all over the place.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like a health issue (worms/constipation). When was his last check up?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has his diet changed recently? It could be a sort-of-looseness on account of a dietary change or a formula that just isn't agreeing with him.

A vet visit wouldn't be amiss; or even a conversation with your vet might yield good information/suggestions.

Having cats, like having kids, elders, or anyone else! means accidents can and do happen; I swear by two products -- Nature's Miracle Just For Cats enzymatic liquid cleaner, which I buy by the gallon and use diligently; and the Bissell SpotBot "Pet" spot deep carpet cleaner with its recommended accompanying shampoo formula just for "pet" accidents. Using this on even diarrhea gives peace of mind and really, really cleans that carpet. The little machine is not expensive -- mine cost $130US -- and the shampoos are $10 a bottle. This is a robotic machine, as well -- you set it up, turn it on, and you can do whatever you want! It beeps when it's done. Or you can use the manual hose assembly for harder-to-reach areas. I know you're in the UK, but they must have corresponding products Across the Pond. Try your "pet" supply store for the enzymatic cleaner, and your local department store or appliance shop for the carpet cleaner.

GOOD LUCK, thank you for being loving and patient with your sweet boy, and keep us updated, won't you?

leesestyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calamus

My British shorthair Bertie is six months old. He's always been no trouble, quite a stay at home boy. He has always used the litter tray very diligently, although he's never been very good at scraping the litter granules to cover his poo. However, he has just begun a fairly distressing phase. He does a huge dump in the litter tray and ends up about once every two days with a bottom covered in poo and with bits of litter clump sticking to it. He then flounces out of the kitchen and into the rest of the house leaving little poo-covered clumps of litter, and occasionally smearing his bottom on the carpet leaving very distressing brown patches.

It's by no means every time - most of the time his bottom is clean. But it is now happening regularly. He does wash regularly but he doesn't seem to tackle these bottom incidents.

Some other contexts: he joined the house when Pippa, my tabby, was a year old. Disappointingly, they haven't got on that well but as far as I can see she gets stressed and he seems very placid about it.

To my eyes, it doesn't look like a behavioural problem owing to stress or changing circumstances - he is always an unconcerned, relaxed little chap. I am worried that he is also just a dirty chap with a poor sense of personal hygiene.

Can anyone offer any advice? How can I get him to take his hygiene seriously? I don't know how to cope with these smears of poo all over the place.
murphy used to do that sometimes when a piece of poo would stick in his hair... he was rubbing his tush on the carpet to try and get it off! i gave him a little trim around the bum and problem solved!! maybe the poo is getting in his hair and he feels dirty so he's trying to clean it. a little trim might alleviate the problem.

good luck!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have him checked for worms and give him a good trim if he's got long hair back there...I have sympathy for you. Bella has done this (luckily on the linoleum) and it wasn't fun to clean up.