TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Please help! How do I open a stuck jar?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please help! How do I open a stuck jar?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I am so hungry, and my mom made me some homemade beans...I went to have some for lunch but I can't get the jar open

I have a blister on my palm from trying

I want beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeans!!

What do I do?
post #2 of 19
hit the lid on a hard surface that should loosen it up
post #3 of 19
hold jar lid under hot running water to make it expand
post #4 of 19
Run hot water on the lid for a bit. If the reason it is stuck is because of solidified juice/sugary stuff, the hot water will melt the solids and unstick it. Also, the glass will contract slightly with the heat making it easier to open.
post #5 of 19
I agree with what Katie said. My mom always taught me to turn the jar upside down and bring it down hard (but level) on the countertop to loosen the lid. Works every time.
post #6 of 19
Hit the bottom of the jar with the palm of your hand
post #7 of 19
Run it under some hot water for a few moments then hit the bottom of the jar with your palm.

If it's REALLY stuck on there- put a laytex glove on and open it- for some reason, doing that REALLY helps. (i found that out one time when a bellybutton ring i was wearing would NOT unscrew when i tried to change it out. i freaked out and went to that tattoo parlor and begged them to fix it (they were laughing hysterically at me, but i was really worried i'd never get the old one out!) the guy just put on a glove and turned it- and voila! it worked!)
post #8 of 19
All good tips. The one that works best for me is turning the jar upside down, and bring it down smart on the counter. Do we get to share your beans when you get them open?
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
...the glass will contract slightly with the heat making it easier to open.
I think you meant "expand" -- but since metal expands more than glass, the lid will loosen up.

Another way to do it is place the glass part only in a bowl of icewater, so the glass will contract... but the hot-water-on-the-lid method usually works better.

You can also rap the edge of the lid sharply with a knife to pop the vacuum.

And if all else fails, carefully hammer a nail through the lid! Once the vacuum is popped, it should be easier to open.
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
hit the lid on a hard surface that should loosen it up
This is what I tried, and it worked! Thanks Katie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
Do we get to share your beans when you get them open?
Do you like homemade beans? Most people make fun of me for eating beans, but they are so goooooood. My mom fries them up with onions I had them with bread and butter...and yes there is plenty to share!
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Do you like homemade beans? Most people make fun of me for eating beans, but they are so goooooood. My mom fries them up with onions I had them with bread and butter...and yes there is plenty to share!
Love them! HAven't made beans for ages -- probably should! I know Rob wouldn't object either.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Do you like homemade beans? Most people make fun of me for eating beans, but they are so goooooood. My mom fries them up with onions I had them with bread and butter...and yes there is plenty to share!
I'm one of those who absolutely can not eat beans!!!!! No way no how! Couldn't eat them as a child and still can't eat them as an adult! YUCK!

They just mush in your mouth!

But Nat I wanted to say I'm so glad you were able to open your jar!
post #13 of 19
very welcome Natalie! I have really weak hands so I have trouble opening everything especially litter buckets

are those like baked beans? I like beans too, all except baked beans, I really like black beans, like in a burrito
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
very welcome Natalie! I have really weak hands so I have trouble opening everything especially litter buckets

are those like baked beans? I like beans too, all except baked beans, I really like black beans, like in a burrito
Not really baked...I think just boiled pinto beans..then when they are done you throw some molasses or whatever in them. Then you fry them with onions
post #15 of 19
Beans are gross unless they come straight from the garden.

I'm glad you got the jar open Nat....now this is why you need a boyfriend...to be & big & muscly for ya!
post #16 of 19
Beans beans good for your Heart the more you eat the more you .. Ah never mind
Where is you Nat ?
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Not really baked...I think just boiled pinto beans..then when they are done you throw some molasses or whatever in them. Then you fry them with onions
hmm, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try them
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I'm glad you got the jar open Nat....now this is why you need a boyfriend...to be & big & muscly for ya!
post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
Nah boyfriends are for suckers Nat

I got it open didn't I!? All I need is Katie to tell me how
post #19 of 19
Congrats on opening the jar!!!

I was going to suggest repopping the seal by sliding a spoon underneath and lifting. I also get those gripper pads too...I have no traction in my palms

Mmmm...beans..

Beans, beans the magical fruit
The more you eat the more you toot
The more you toot the better you feel
Let's have beans for every meal!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Please help! How do I open a stuck jar?