Diet for an F1 bengal??

mlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I have been doing some research into the best diet for my F1 bengal boy (who should btw be coming home near the end of the month). The breeder suggested felidae (I already feed my dog canidae so trust this food) but I wonder if a dry kibble is really what is best for a kitten whose parent needs raw meat to survive - and whose body and eating habits are designed around a wild animal.

I recently learned of Zupreem Feline Diet for wild animals and wondered if any of the bengal breeders knew anything about it? I think it is a raw diet - that is meat based.

I know Mazuri also sells diets for exotic cats - but I have also herd a few bad things about Mazuri's diets. I am not sure if they came for a reliable source tho or if they are accurate.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Start him on what the breeder has ... if I had a bengal who would eat it ... RAW would be the menu ... I would think an f1 would do especially well on raw since likely his dad ate that??

I have read Mazuri small exotic and was not impressed... much of it protein is veggie and grains ....

NOTE I am not a breeder

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Zupreem Parrot food to my bird and love it, but I am completely um-impressed with their feline diet. Reads much like a lot of middle of the line domestic feeds that are more readily available.

Here is the ingredients list from the canned Feline diet:
NGREDIENTS
Chicken, liver, water, meat by-products, poultry by-product meal, animal fat, ground corn, powdered cellulose, iodized salt, potassium chloride, taurine, choline chloride, iron oxide, zinc oxide manganous oxide, cobalt carbonate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, thiamine, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Magnus

BARF Diet would quite possibly work well, basicly raw meat and bones.

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm
pretty good site.. some issues but the guy doesnt claim to be a nutritionist... ANYONE considering raw / homemade diets NEEDS to FIND a VET willing to help or already knowledgeable

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

pretty good site.. some issues but the guy doesnt claim to be a nutritionist... ANYONE considering raw / homemade diets NEEDS to FIND a VET willing to help or already knowledgeable
Easier said than done. Most vets are not knowledgeable at all about a raw diet.

I would definately feed an F1 a raw meat and bone diet, but that's just my opinion.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I feed Zupreem Parrot food to my bird and love it, but I am completely um-impressed with their feline diet. Reads much like a lot of middle of the line domestic feeds that are more readily available.

Here is the ingredients list from the canned Feline diet:
NGREDIENTS
Chicken, liver, water, meat by-products, poultry by-product meal, animal fat, ground corn, powdered cellulose, iodized salt, potassium chloride, taurine, choline chloride, iron oxide, zinc oxide manganous oxide, cobalt carbonate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, thiamine, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement.
Too much liver - can cause vitamin A toxicosis in cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

Easier said than done. Most vets are not knowledgeable at all about a raw diet.

I would definately feed an F1 a raw meat and bone diet, but that's just my opinion.
I know but many are more willing to learn ... I happened to be in a town of 22000 with five vets in a 20 mile area that advocate raw and mine has been a great for help which I needed alot of ...