Anyone ever made preemie clothes?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I stumbled upon a website that donates hand-made clothing for needy parents of premature babies, and also burial outfits for the dear little ones who don't survive. I was thinking of making the latter things. Most were crocheted or knitted patterns; and the 1 sewing pattern had no measurements to gauge the size. I don't crochet nor knit, and want to sew outfits. Has anyone ever made these, and do you have any suggestions? It's so heart-breaking to think of these poor babies and their families, so I'd like to put my sewing talents to good use to help them in some small way.

One of their links was a YouTube video a couple made of their little micro-preemie (very tiny preemie) who died at birth. God, it was just heart-breaking; I've been sitting here crying; and Willi (my cat) has been licking my face, trying to make me feel better. I just can't imagine how truly awful it must be to lose a baby like that.

Thanks!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no suggestions as i do not sew, but i hope someone comes along soon that can help you out! I think that what you are wanting to do is wonderful, and will really help out a lot of families going through rough moments.
What a wonderful, selfless thing for you to do!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Contact the local children's hospital. The volunteers there should be able to help you. It's wonderful that you are going to do this.
Thank you! I've been so busy (marriage, newish house, 9 cats, etc.) that I've gotten away from doing charitable stuff, which used to be very important to me. I've also not done anything creative with my hands, so this would be good. My Mom-In-Law actually is a maternity nurse, so maybe I can ask her. (The stories she tells us about the preemies born to drug-addicted moms just break my heart. Especially when it happens on Christmas Eve, and the baby dies, like 2 years ago.)

felineorc

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
HI - it's a great idea you have. I always use doll patterns when I need to make something for a baby that has arrived a little bit too soon.

You need to buy the pattens for dolls that are between 12-14 inches - not fashion dolls of course. You can also get knitting patterns for dolls too that work for premmies too.

Hope you have fun sewing things.