Anyone else fast on a regular basis?

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I fast on a regular basis. Usually for about 24-36 hours over the weekend, when I'm just bumming around at home. No particular reason. I think if I don't expend my energy I don't really feel the need to eat, and if I do eat and just sit around I'll feel bloated. I eat like a maniac all other times though.

Haha, just wondering if I'm the only weirdo who does this.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no, i don't think it's healthy to fast. (not to mention i have low blood pressure & vertigo- so i can't go without food for more than a few hours without getting very ill.)

i think its better to eat 5 small healthy meals a day and keep a regular fitness schedule

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't fast either unless I have to for like a blood test or something. From what I have heard as well, fasting is not good for your body but yours may be used to it as you do it regularly. Does it work out for you?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on how long you fast (i.e. more than one day) it can definitely become unhealthy and lead to perminant complications. A lot of anorexics for example wind up with diabetes (usually type I). Because they are't taking in a lot of sugar, if any, their pancreas pretty much shuts down. When they're in recovery and eating healthy again, thats when they run into the diagnosis.

I don't see a problem with a 24 hour fast...many religions do this and I knew two kids during my bachelors that fasted when they were becoming ill. They were aspiring doctors and explained to me that you can cleanse out the virus easily by not giving any food. No, I didn't really believe them either, but hey, they were always healthy the next day and rarely were sick.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't fast just to lose weight or for any reason, period. plus I get weak if I don't eat. your body needs so many things - nutrition!! it's not healthy to fast on a regular basis.
if you do it for 24 hours for religion it's fine, but fasting more than that could get ugly. your whole body shuts down if you haven't had food in so many hours. I have to eat, I need my strength to take care of my own animals and "my" babies at the shelter where I work.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I fast at least once a year as a means to clean/clear my system. A fast from food, not liquids. You feel excellent afterwards, but you need to know what you are doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I fast at least once a year as a means to clean/clear my system. A fast from food, not liquids. You feel excellent afterwards, but you need to know what you are doing.
How do you normally kick-start your system after you fast? I normally start off on something easy to digest like canned peaches, or bananas, and then move up to bread/butter/eggs before I start eating normal again. Does feel good to have a clear bowel for once don't it?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love to fast! Well I love the feeling after its over. I always start with some kind pureed soup, really light. It takes me a while to build back up to heavier foods and for me fruit is something I will bring back in like the 2nd week after a fast.

I have fasted for 20 years now and fast some longer fasts, like up to 30 days before. But I always take supplements.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the occasional fast is unhealthy, although I don't think I would want to do it for more than 24 hours at a time and I would keep drinking low calorie liquids. I wish I had the willpower to do it, unfortunately I eat when I'm bored

As far as doing it to lose weight, that doesn't work if you make up for all the calories the next day