Im So Sad!!!!!

thezookeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sad
!!!!! Last week my aunt had to put her 6 year old cat Bailey to sleep because he had cancer. Bailey was a special needs cat because he was born with water on the brain. Bailey was so funny and sweet. We all miss him A LOT!!!!

Yesterday my same aunts dog, Tucker, attacked 2 children (including her 2 year-old grand daughter) so now he has to be put to sleep this week!!!!! Tucker has been my aunts baby for the past 9 years. My aunt LOVES Tucker. She is with Tucker more then she is with her husband because he is gone alot for business. It is a joke with the family about what would happen to my aunt if Tucker should die but it is going to happen now. This is just as if she was loosing a child!!!!

I feel SOOOOO SAD for my aunt. She LOVES pets and is devistated to loose any, but this week she has to loose 2 of them. Now she is down to just one cat, Cody. Cody will be sad too because both of his playmates are gone too.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's horrid... poor Cody & Cody's "mom".

Do you live in the area? If not you could send a sympathy card; I know they usually only do that for humans but this is a special case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thezookeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

That's horrid... poor Cody & Cody's "mom".

Do you live in the area? If not you could send a sympathy card; I know they usually only do that for humans but this is a special case.
Unfortunatly I live 12 hours away from my aunt, but I did send her an e-card for loss of pet. She read it already and just sent me an IM telling me thanks. We typed a bit. She was saying how Tucker was looking up at her with trust in his eyes. It broke her heart knowing what is going to happen in a few days. Thank-you all for your comforting words and comments.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry about Bailey!
and please tell your aunt to give a kiss to Tucker for me. may his passing to the bridge be peaceful.

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, that is terrible. What happened to make the dog "attack". Was it a vicious attack or was the dog responding to having small children in the home for the first time and acting out? Before putting the dog asleep is there another alternative? Like keeping him away from small children, which he is probably not used to? Please try to look at the situation from the dog's perspective and your Aunt's as well before acting.
Sincerely,
Ginger

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Coco Maui

Before putting the dog asleep is there another alternative?
Yes... sometimes it really isn't necessary if the dog's situation can be controlled.

I'm so sorry for your aunt. Maybe you could invite her here to TCS... it might help to have some supportive new friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thezookeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Coco Maui

Oh my goodness, that is terrible. What happened to make the dog "attack". Was it a vicious attack or was the dog responding to having small children in the home for the first time and acting out? Before putting the dog asleep is there another alternative? Like keeping him away from small children, which he is probably not used to? Please try to look at the situation from the dog's perspective and your Aunt's as well before acting.
Sincerely,
Ginger
Tucker is 3/4 Dalmation and 1/4 Boarder Collie. Dalmations are known to be very protective and are not good around kids. Tucker has always been aggressive toward strangers. He snarles, snaps, growls and barks at strangers who get too close to his pack. He has never bitten (until now) anyone but he sure has scared a lot of people, even other family members. My aunts 2 year-old granddaughter is around Tucker a lot and it seemed that Tucker loved having her around. I'm not exactly sure what changed.

As for the neighbor girl, she was just walking on the sidewalk in front of my aunts house. Tucker bolted out the front door, knocked the girl down, sat and pinned her to the ground and snarled and snapped at her. I don't know if she got physically hurt. Tucker HATES people walking in front of the house and does everything he can chase them away. My aunt has always been weary of him being around strangers and children.

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the dog needs to be kept inside away from the front door so he can't get out or on a leash when he goes outdoors. This may help with him being able to get to the neighbors children.
As far as being around your Aunt's grand-daughter, not sure how to handle that situation??
I hope your Aunt can find a good solution to her dog's issues.