Turtle rescue!

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So over the past few months my fiance and I have rescued 4 turtles from the road. . . We are going to get shirts or something to commemorate being given the task of turtle rescuing!

Anyone else noticed an influx of pavement pounding reptiles?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww bless you

When I lived in MS, the rainy season always seemed to bring the softshells out onto the highway.
I would always stop and get them and find a nice muddy bog for them.
I even wintered one loose in my house that I found barely moving (too cold) after the frost.
She was probably the biggest softshell I'd ever seen, about the size of my 12inch cast iron skillet.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping them across, it's great that people do this.

Of course, always be careful when crossing the road yourself. If the road is too busy, such as a highway, you can get in trouble for pulling over and getting out.
Also, to any Texas readers, unless the recent law was retracted somehow (I don't believe it was, sneaky politicians) it is illegal to do this. You cannot stop and touch any reptile or amphibian wildlife on state land (road, sides of roads), it is now considered hunting. So be aware of your state laws, or don't get caught.

The reason more turtles are out on road ways is obviously because of human encroachment on what territories they do have. They also move over large areas to look for water, food, and good nesting sites. Males are also on the hunt for females.
Where I live is just outside of town, semi rural, so there's at least 3-4 wild box turtles that live in the area, that I know of. They like to raid our tomato patches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If an officer tried to get me for saving the life of an animal I would tell them firmly to go to thewarm place. I feel so bad for them because you can tell they are so scared, and people driving have their heads so far up their
s they barely miss them or hit them. . . Poor things... They are so cute too! Even if they are algea covered scalies. . .

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not alone. When we are traveling, if we spot a turtle, we will try and stop to get it to safety out of the range of cars. The recent one (and that was last year) was a red-eared slider and I had DH stop; picked him up and put him closer to the little pond on the side of the road where he SHOULD be

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

The recent one (and that was last year) was a red-eared slider and I had DH stop; picked him up and put him closer to the little pond on the side of the road where he SHOULD be
Always put them on the side they were heading towards, otherwise the moment you're gone they will head right back across.
Turtles do not forget and are very determined, so there's no discouraging them.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Always put them on the side they were heading towards, otherwise the moment you're gone they will head right back across.
Turtles do not forget and are very determined, so there's no discouraging them.
That is good to know, thanks!