Cat really sick, don't know what to do

kirill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning I let my cat out for his daily outdoor time, but he came back much sooner than usual. When he did, he was barely walking/standing up, and then proceeded to throw up (almost completely liquid) many times, while lying around the house passed-out. He has attempted to go to the bathroom many times, but was not able to do so. He refuses to eat and drink as well.

Because today is Sunday, we cannot see a vet until tomorrow, and I am very worried about him. Could anyone give any suggestions to help him, at least until tomorrow?

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he may have gotten into something poisonous. If you have an emergency vet in the area, I highly suggest getting him there ASAP. Don't want to frighten you, but depending on what he got into, he may not make it through the night! This is an emergency!

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kirill- find a vet for your kitty ASAP, even if that means driving several towns away. Locate the nearest animal emergency hospital, which may be in another county. Look through the phone book and see if any individual vets offer emergency hours and call them. If you live near a university with a vet school, take him there.

What you are describing cannot wait until tomorrow to be treated.

mrjonah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the suggestions here - all our vets here are on call for 24 hr emergency. Really hope your kitty is okay and let us know what happened...

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That kitty needs emergency care right now; he can't wait. Good luck, and get well vibes for your kitty.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by novemberflowers

That kitty needs emergency care right now; he can't wait. Good luck, and get well vibes for your kitty.

Sounds like he got into something poisonous. VET, ASAP! There are always emergency vets available - please get him there!

I hope he'll be all right!

~KK~

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Sounds like he got into something poisonous. VET, ASAP! There are always emergency vets available - please get him there!

I hope he'll be all right!

~KK~
I agree with all of the above. Call an emergency vet now!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kirill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the encouragement guys, we took him to a vet and he said he has a urinary tract blockage where calcium prevents him from peeing... He will receive surgery in a few hours and hopefully everything will be alright... thanks again for the encouragement

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he must go outside, you need to control WHERE he is going - either train to a harness/leash or build/buy a cat enclosure.

I was thinking ANTIFREEZE poisoning when I read it. A very small amount will kill a dog/cat!

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you were able to get your little guy to the vet in time...urinary blockages are life-threatening if not quickly treated. Hope he'll soon be feeling much better.

Please let us know how he's doing.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you got him to the vet in time and wish him a safe recovery.

It would be nice if just occasionally, everything that was wrong with a cat was not blamed on it being allowed out.

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

I am glad you got him to the vet in time and wish him a safe recovery.

It would be nice if just occasionally, everything that was wrong with a cat was not blamed on it being allowed out.
I agree. My mom has 4 cats that are all indoor/outdoor and they're perfectly fine. Other than the occasional cat fight with wounds resulting, they would rather be outside. I choose not to let my cat out only because we live on a road with a lot of big, unmannered dogs and the cars fly by. Also, a house just down the road has a boatload of cats that have FIV and feline aids. Terrible! Our shelter is working on this situation, but doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with this guy... it's an ongoing battle.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he's going to be ok

Originally Posted by Anakat

I agree, but in this case it was a reasonable assumption given that the OP described the symptoms as beginning immediately after returning from a trip outside.