They are indestructable

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are in a severe drought. This part of the region is almost 25 inches below it's normal rainfall for this time of year. The ferries on the Green River are shutting down for low water levels. In the city, people that water their lawns can only water them from 2 hours on Mondays. My yard, which was a patchy mess when I moved in and took 4 years to make nice, is now a brownish, brittle, burned up mess.

But the stupid dandelions are still growing!!!!

They're evil, I tell ya!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We had watering restrictions here a couple of years ago and the only things that were green were the stupid weeds
so I know exactly what you mean.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We may be headed in that direction. Our lawn is brown and crunchy too. But the dandilons here are growing too
And all the rest of the weeds.

The one thing I've been trying to save are the mums that I got from a dear friend when my dad passed away 3 years ago. They look ok, and I think they're going to bloom.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean at the new house I need to plant a tree in the backyard so the dogs will have shade and there's really no use in doing that till next spring because its so dry. The whole year has been like that.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you finally pull them up you realize it's because their roots are so long! I had the terribl tast of weeding (aka uprooting dandelions) and it's a pain in the behinder because their roots are so deep in the ground. I know what you mean, they ARE practically indestructable and it drives me crazy!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love "dandy lions."
Sorry, I just couldn't resist saying that.

Meow!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we should grow dandelions as lawns instead of grass. That way we'd always have perfect lawns, and they'd be self-seeding too!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When someone talks about Dandelions I always think of the game that some friends of mine and I played as little kids.

We'd place a picked dandelion and we'd sing "Momma had a baby and her head popped off". Then in one hand we'd pop the flower from the stem.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

When someone talks about Dandelions I always think of the game that some friends of mine and I played as little kids.

We'd place a picked dandelion and we'd sing "Momma had a baby and her head popped off". Then in one hand we'd pop the flower from the stem.
OMG that sounds awful. Where did you all come up with that.

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

wooohooo somebody else played that. i have no idea who came up with it but it was something my brother taught me, and i mastered the trick of making the heads pop off. I use to aim them at my brother and hit him everytime with the dandelions.

thank you for that childhood memory

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the opposite problem over the summer. I tried planting dandelions in the turtle pens, barely any came up. Tried hunting around, couldn't find any with decent amount or length leaves. So maybe if you actually want them to grow they'll go away.

There's worse weeds you could have in your yard, by the way. Ever had a yard full of sand burrs?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dandy lions
if not chemically treated make great eating as stated and tea .... plus nice dried flowers

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

OMG that sounds awful. Where did you all come up with that.
Have no clue
We just heard it somewhere and thought it was funny.

Originally Posted by FootersOwnsMe

wooohooo somebody else played that. i have no idea who came up with it but it was something my brother taught me, and i mastered the trick of making the heads pop off. I use to aim them at my brother and hit him everytime with the dandelions.

thank you for that childhood memory
Awesome!
I don't think I ever met anyone else that played that game.

Ooo...you can hold a dandelion under your neck. If it reflects yellow or gold, then you like butter.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Have no clue
We just heard it somewhere and thought it was funny.

Awesome!
I don't think I ever met anyone else that played that game.

Ooo...you can hold a dandelion under your neck. If it reflects yellow or gold, then you like butter.
I used to play both games! I remembered the butter thing, but had forgotten the popping off the head game until I just read this!

Oh, dandilions also make great wine.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it wasn't for the dandelions and crabgrass, we'd have no lawn at all.