Cat Having Problem Making Bowel Movement

kmb652

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I found this site while searching google about a recent problem my cat has been experiencing. My cat, Bumbles, is 14 years old and has recently been having trouble making a bowel movement. He will go into his litter box, attempt to pass his bowels without success (he sometimes cries/meows during this time) and then will run to various areas of the house and scoot his behind on the floor, table, etc... i guess in an attempt to make a bowel movement until he is finally successful. The feces doesn't appear to be hard, and I'm a little confused why he is having so much trouble. If anyone can offer the slightest explanation or suggestions I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, it could be several things. At this senior age, if you haven't done so recently, I'd take your kitty in for a senior panel to check kidney and liver functions, have them check the urine to see if your kitty is dehydrated at all.

Once you have an idea if anything is wrong or not, you can ask if an otc med such as Miralax is called for or extra fiber in the diet (such as plain pumpkin, baby food ground peas or squash) would likely do the trick.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is older and suffers from chronic constipation as well. I think the ability to poop sometimes afflicts older cats. Nonetheless, it's a serious condition and I advise you to visit a vet. Don't let the problem get too out of hand because the longer the stool stays inside the colon and hardens, the more damage it can do.

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

My cat is older and suffers from chronic constipation as well. I think the ability to poop sometimes afflicts older cats. Nonetheless, it's a serious condition and I advise you to visit a vet. Don't let the problem get too out of hand because the longer the stool stays inside the colon and hardens, the more damage it can do.

Blast-Off-Girl and I are all too experienced with constipated cats. Like she said, it could be a number of things. A vet visit will help; there's many options. Yours could be as simple as adding Laxatone (a lubricant laxative) to his diet every day. Mine is much more complicated unfortunately. Left untreated, chronic constipation can lead to Megacolon, which is what my cat has. Now she's on stool softener medicine the rest of her life, on very expensive grain-free food, and Laxatone twice a week to keep things moving.

I don't want to scare you with all of this. I'd get to a vet and have him checked out. That's the first step. Good luck! Good vibes for your kitty! Do keep us posted.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as a ps...my oldest cat who is almost 18 suffers from constipation (he's the one who my vet prescribed Miralax for, though it's an over the counter human med and the kitty I also give baby food peas or squash to daily), and my next to youngest has an issue as well (we are trying to prevent her from developing mega colon) and is on a prescription med that she will receive daily for the rest of her life...so yeah, vet apt to find out what's up, really can help forestall a more serious long term issue from developing.

best wishes to your kitty,

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Just as a ps...my oldest cat who is almost 18 suffers from constipation (he's the one who my vet prescribed Miralax for, though it's an over the counter human med and the kitty I also give baby food peas or squash to daily), and my next to youngest has an issue as well (we are trying to prevent her from developing mega colon) and is on a prescription med that she will receive daily for the rest of her life...so yeah, vet apt to find out what's up, really can help forestall a more serious long term issue from developing.

best wishes to your kitty,
How often do you give Miralax? Do you find it be successful?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told to use it up to twice a day, but found that once a day is just right for Tyler. It works very well for him.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I was told to use it up to twice a day, but found that once a day is just right for Tyler. It works very well for him.
That's good to know! I always thought it wasn't a good idea to give a laxative daily. I was giving Buster a Dulcolax but was advised not to do it for more than 3 days at a time. Is Miralax much safer than Dulcolax? My cat currently takes Cisapride, senna herbs, and Kristalose. It's a nightmare!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

That's good to know! I always thought it wasn't a good idea to give a laxative daily. I was giving Buster a Dulcolax but was advised not to do it for more than 3 days at a time. Is Miralax much safer than Dulcolax? My cat currently takes Cisapride, senna herbs, and Kristalose. It's a nightmare!
I would ask your vet. I am giggling here...I was just going to post what Larissa is on and when I went to check the name of the medicine, realized it is miralax from when it was prescription! The prescribed med was GlycoLax, but what it is is polyethylene Glycol 3350 - which is exactly what I see Miralax is per the label.

Larissa has been on this for almost 2 years now...a daily dose prescribed by my vet.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I would ask your vet. I am giggling here...I was just going to post what Larissa is on and when I went to check the name of the medicine, realized it is miralax from when it was prescription! The prescribed med was GlycoLax, but what it is is polyethylene Glycol 3350 - which is exactly what I see Miralax is per the label.

Larissa has been on this for almost 2 years now...a daily dose prescribed by my vet.
Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going to ask about this. I asked the holistic vet but they want me to stay on the herbs. However, I'm going to see what my other vet thinks. Miralax must be a good medicine if Larissa is doing ok and pooping everyday.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you sure he's not straining to urinate and not poo? When my cat has a urinary tract infection he strains like this. Either way, I would get him to the vet. Good luck...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmb652

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so very much! I really appreciate your advice. I will be scheduling a vet visit some time this week to look into this issue even further.
It's so nice to have found such a great community of cat lovers! Thanks again!