The Joost beta version is now available to everybody

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.joost.com/download/

http://www.joost.com/whatsjoost.html
It's free, so there are commercials, and most of the channels are in English, though I saw some Spanish, French, Arabic and German. You have to have broadband/ADSL, and if you don't have a "true" flat rate, be sure not to leave it in standby mode, as it eats up bandwidth. You can turn it off by right-clicking the symbol in your tool bar (Exit).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I have been trying to join Joost for so long!!!!!!! Thank
you!
You're welcome! I'm surprised nobody else has responded. I teach at a language school, and very few of my students didn't download it right away, because they want to be able to practice English, French, Spanish, etc.. comprehension.

Joost was developed by the same guys who "invented" Skype, and the alpha version was really hyped by scores of computer magazines, plus by TIME.

They plan to eventually have live broadcasts, but at the moment they have videos ranging from 2 minutes to 2 -3 hours (films). How many channels you receive is dependent on where you live, due to copyrights, but the selection is pretty wide, and new channels are being added on a daily basis. Music, sports, entertainment, news, documentaries, Manga, SciFi, horror - it's pretty good.

I recommend "The World of Cats", to be found under "Documentaries".

The commercials are shown before your selection is broadcast, in the language of the country you live in. There appear to be just 3 or 4 for Germany at the moment.

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What kind of shows do they show? This could be good for my german A level...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by horseygal90

What kind of shows do they show? This could be good for my german A level...
Check out "Paramount Pictures DE".