TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › YAY for OTC wormers!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

YAY for OTC wormers!

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Woah, for all the people who say otc wormers don't work.... I wormed my new kitten with otc round wormer yesterday and he pooped out dead round worms today, round worms don't come out unless they have been killed. I'm so happy to have proof (for myself anyway) that it DOES work. Yay
Oh and he didn't throw up or get diahrrea (sp) either!
post #2 of 16
I am glad that it went well.
When you see your vet on Monday would you ask about worming at home?
My kitties have not had worms in years but I am sure others might like to know your vets feedback about home worming.
Thanks
post #3 of 16
I worm my kitties at home... with a wormer that does tapeworms, hookworms, and roundworms. My vet knows I am poor so she doesn't mind me doing whatever I can at home..The wormer I use has the exact same active ingredients that the wormer from the vet has...
post #4 of 16
I usually get the meds at the vet and do it at home with a RX label with individual instructions
post #5 of 16
I personally don't feel comfortable using OTC de wormer's but if you cat is ok and it did the trick that's great.
post #6 of 16
I've always wondered why people say the OTC wormers don't work. The OTC wormer I have used in the past is exactly the same one my vet uses so I feel quite comfortable with it. Off hand I don't remember the brand but I got it Petco. Maybe others have gotten a hold of wormers that were past expiration???
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I usually get the meds at the vet and do it at home with a RX label with individual instructions
That is what I did, I got instructions for my cat and both dogs, the dewormer was only $7.50
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I usually get the meds at the vet and do it at home with a RX label with individual instructions
That's what I do too. My vet gives me Panacur, and I've heard that some of the farm stores like Tractor Supply sell Panacur but I've never checked to verify that.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kittiesmom View Post
I worm my kitties at home... with a wormer that does tapeworms, hookworms, and roundworms. My vet knows I am poor so she doesn't mind me doing whatever I can at home..The wormer I use has the exact same active ingredients that the wormer from the vet has...
What wormer do you use? It would be nice to only have to use one pill!
post #10 of 16
drontal.. is the one pill wormer ...
post #11 of 16
The problem comes in not with the wormer but with the person givng the wormer. First the kitten or cat needs to be in good health- the wormer is given by weight, so you need to know the weight of your kitty. OTC wormers will kill worms, but some aren't strong enough to kill the young adults or the larvae, or the eggs. Others are watered down and not fully effective. Does it save money to use OTC wormers? Yes, indeed it does, but is it 100% safe? No, not by a long-shot.

There is a new wormer out, it is a topical wormer you can get at your vet. It kills rounds, tapes and hooks all at once. Your vet has information on it it is made by Bayer Health and called Profender. It is a feral cat caretaker's answered prayer! Out of the field studies of 606 cats only one death occurred.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
The problem comes in not with the wormer but with the person givng the wormer. First the kitten or cat needs to be in good health- the wormer is given by weight, so you need to know the weight of your kitty. OTC wormers will kill worms, but some aren't strong enough to kill the young adults or the larvae, or the eggs. Others are watered down and not fully effective. Does it save money to use OTC wormers? Yes, indeed it does, but is it 100% safe? No, not by a long-shot.

There is a new wormer out, it is a topical wormer you can get at your vet. It kills rounds, tapes and hooks all at once. Your vet has information on it it is made by Bayer Health and called Profender. It is a feral cat caretaker's answered prayer! Out of the field studies of 606 cats only one death occurred.
The Profender seems to be sold under different names in various countries. I've seen it advertised as SpotOn in various German cat magazines for a while now. I checked out Bayer's German website yesterday, and the product isn't even listed. That's strange, because Bayer is a German company.
post #13 of 16
There are some sites online that sell panacur the only one I can remember off-hand is 1800 pet meds, but I've gotten it from a farm supply site before too (I've used it to treat worms in fish before).

Art
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
The problem comes in not with the wormer but with the person givng the wormer. First the kitten or cat needs to be in good health- the wormer is given by weight, so you need to know the weight of your kitty. OTC wormers will kill worms, but some aren't strong enough to kill the young adults or the larvae, or the eggs. Others are watered down and not fully effective. Does it save money to use OTC wormers? Yes, indeed it does, but is it 100% safe? No, not by a long-shot.

There is a new wormer out, it is a topical wormer you can get at your vet. It kills rounds, tapes and hooks all at once. Your vet has information on it it is made by Bayer Health and called Profender. It is a feral cat caretaker's answered prayer! Out of the field studies of 606 cats only one death occurred.
All my cats are in good health and I know all their weights....
to the person who asked -- yes I will ask the vet about otc wormers.
post #15 of 16
You say YAY, but I refuse to risk my cat's life by using an OTC dewormer. I buy my dewromer from the vet, in bulk...and deworm my guys on my own when a fecal shows worms.
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thats fine for you white cat lover, but I don't think using an otc wormer is risking a life. I think its just as safe as prescription wormers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › YAY for OTC wormers!