New here with sick cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumpkinsmommie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I would say I stumbled upon this forum due to the fact my 12 year old baby Pumpkin has just been diagnosed with Instestinal cancer.

My husband I are devastated. We started with steroids to see if that helps, but the vet says if there is not improvement in 2-3 days there is really no hope. Chemo would probably not help. She stopped eating on her own two weeks ago and she's been force fed ever since. She's no longer vomiting but I can't help to think if this is the wrong thing to do. Am I holding on for selfish reasons? Am I holding on to false hope that the steroids might work?

I've never had to make the decision to put an animal to sleep and the thought of having to make this decision tears my heart in two. My eyes are practically swollen shut from crying and I'm just miserable. I feel so sad and want to do the right thing for my baby. I can't even tell if she's in pain, she looks depressed and the vet says she is having some discomfort in her belly by the way she is sitting.

I'm just so distraught I don't know what to do with myself.

Thanks for listening if you got this far.

Alison

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your baby being so sick. All I can say is just look in her eyes and she will tell you if it is time for her to go or not.
It is a heart wrenching decision I had to make two years ago with my 17 year old baby, Princess. It was hard but I know she was ready to go. Lifting up a prayer for you, your husband and Pumpkin.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello Alison,
Welcome to TCS.
I am so sorry to hear about Pumpkin's illness.

Here at TheCatSite, you are with people who understand how you are feeling.
TCS has a forum called Health and Nutrition where you might want to start a thread for feedback and support.
As you explore the site, if you have questions, just click on my user name,
I will get back to you asap.
Please keep us updated about how Pumpkin is doing.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im sorry about Pumpkin

As said above, she will let you know in her own way, that shes ready to go to the Bridge. it is a horrible decision to make, but if she is suffering, it is the best thing you can do for her. i dont think you are being selfish, i would be that way as well.. but at some point, you have to ask yourself, is she really happy with life? just remember, no matter what happens, that you love her and she has had a great life because of her loving Meowmy.

leesestyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pumpkinsmommie

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I would say I stumbled upon this forum due to the fact my 12 year old baby Pumpkin has just been diagnosed with Instestinal cancer.

My husband I are devastated. We started with steroids to see if that helps, but the vet says if there is not improvement in 2-3 days there is really no hope. Chemo would probably not help. She stopped eating on her own two weeks ago and she's been force fed ever since. She's no longer vomiting but I can't help to think if this is the wrong thing to do. Am I holding on for selfish reasons? Am I holding on to false hope that the steroids might work?

I've never had to make the decision to put an animal to sleep and the thought of having to make this decision tears my heart in two. My eyes are practically swollen shut from crying and I'm just miserable. I feel so sad and want to do the right thing for my baby. I can't even tell if she's in pain, she looks depressed and the vet says she is having some discomfort in her belly by the way she is sitting.

I'm just so distraught I don't know what to do with myself.

Thanks for listening if you got this far.

Alison
hi alison, i'm new here too... i'm sorry to hear about your pumpkin. i agree with what everyone else has said... you'll know when you look at your baby. i was 16 when bootsie passed away, my only other cat and he got sick really fast and 3 days later we put him to sleep. the vet said he would never get better and the quality of his life was suffering severely. he wasn't eating or drinking water and he was retreating...which i understand cats do when they're about to die.
he was 13 and i got him when i was 3 so you can imagine, i thought my world was ending. i didn't want him to suffer though. he had an amazing life and was so loved and he knew it. i couldn't stand to see him suffering, that was the worst 3 days of my life... actually 2 because it was in the last 2 days that was really bad. i know it's so hard to let go but at some point you do have to ask yourself, is this good for him or are you prolonging it because it's so terribly hard to say goodbye? i totally feel for you. it takes me right back to when bootsie was sick. just listen to your heart, your cat, God, or all the above... you'll do the right thing. if you read my post in this forum, i talk about getting a new kitten after my baby died.... maybe it will help. if you want to talk, PM me.

God bless pumpkin, you and your family. i'm sorry.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v195/leese/murphy/?action=view&current=f5474511.pbw

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alison,

My heart goes out to both of you
. We were in the same position last week. It's never easy. My cat had not eaten for 5 days. She had been sick a very long time, so I was fortunate that I had time to prepare myself for what was going to happen. You just need to consult w/your vet and let your cat help you with that decision. If you kitty is not showing any sign of improvement and longer able eat/drink or is not able to get comfortable in the way she's sitting or laying, it's a strong signal that it might be time to let her go. It's very tough and I'm sending you both many prayers

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My heart also goes out to you and your beloved cat. I'm going through the same thing, different cancer, with my cat right now and the grief is almost unbearable. (I hear you about the crying! It seems like that's all I do.)

If you like your vet a lot, you could ask what he/she would do if it were their pet.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!
!........

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)
I´m very so sorry about that bad new...
...poor boy...
....My best wishes for you and my prayers for your lovely kitty...

See you on the forums!

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! We are so glad you have joined us! I'm sorry to hear about your sweet baby. My prayers are with you during this difficult time.

If I can help you with any questions you have about the site, please click on my username and send me a message.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello & Welcome to the Cat Site!

Sorry to hear about your cat Pumpkin
We always say whenever one of our kitties have to pass away, that its a chance to save another furry life...
If you need anything at all - we are all here for you!

Best Wishes! Update us all on Pumpkin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pumpkinsmommie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. Monday night we had to put little Pumpkin to sleep. She wasn't alone, we stayed until she was fast asleep. I don't think there was any pain for her.

I have to say, my husband and I are really hurting. We miss her so badly. I know in time we'll start to feel better.

I made a little memorial for her at critters.com if you would like to get to know Pumpkin a little better and how she impacted our lives. I think if you do a search under pumpkinpaw you should be able to find it.

Once again, thank you all!

XOXOXO
Alison

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss Alison.

Rest in peace sweet Pumpkin.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss

I'll close your thread now, but if you would like to make a thread for Pumpkin in Crossing the Bridge, we'll help your little girl cross over

Status
Not open for further replies.