Tape worms

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats have tape worms, I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any effective over the counter treatments available?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
tradwinds makes the only just tapeworm over the counter ... I would go to the vet as reviews are mixed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to the vet on monday im just so freaked out I want to start doing something about it NOW! if at all possible

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Start washing thing in hot water like your sheets

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

I'm going to the vet on monday im just so freaked out I want to start doing something about it NOW! if at all possible
I bought Tradewinds (PetSmart was out of it, so I ordered it from 1-800-PetMeds) which has 3 tablets in a bottle. I only had to give my Sophia one tablet and they were gone the next day, or within 36 hours, I'd say. I mashed the tablet into a fine powder using the back of a spoon, and put it in a syringe with some water and shot the liquid in her mouth while my husband held her...

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great
I went to petsmart but they were out so I went to Petco and they had one bottle left, I'm going to worm all my animals since they probably all have it, they were all pretty badly infested with fleas recently (really badly!)

I have another question though, my kittens already being treated for roundworms so can I treat him for this at the same time? or do I need to wait, and if so for how long?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used the "Tape Worm Tabs" made by Tradewinds (praziquantel) for Rocket's tapeworms this summer. I gave him two doses three weeks apart. He threw up about three hours after the first dose, but tolerated the second dose fine. I didn't see any tapeworms in the vomit. But I haven't seen any more segments, so it looks like they were effective.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Back when my kitties had tapes I took them to the vet.
I have always been told...
never worm kitties ourselves, that a vet should do it because the line between being effective and toxic is very thin.
If I were you, I would wait until your appointment with the vet.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lei, the ingredient in Tape Worm Tabs is praziquantel, the exact same ingredient in Droncit and Drontal. It's like taking generic ibuprofen instead of brand Advil. All that's at risk is determining the correct dose, and that's spelled out in the instructions that come with for anyone who takes the time to read them.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Lei, the ingredient in Tape Worm Tabs is praziquantel, the exact same ingredient in Droncit and Drontal. It's like taking generic ibuprofen instead of brand Advil.
I don't know what those meds are...
my vet would weigh my cats and give them a shot.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, my vet would not use either Droncit or Drontal, but chose something different, something easier on my kitties. I always go to my vet for worming meds....better safe than sorry!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think self-dosing is only for someone who knows what they're doing. When in doubt, the best course is always follow the direction of someone who knows -- in this case, a vet.

I feel comfortable doing it myself because of my long background managing my own medications. Whenever I visit a new doctor, I usually end up educating the doctor. (And I never charge for it either.)

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it will be fine, I know my cat has tapeworms, and there are very clear directions on the bottle.