Which brands of dry food have the lowest carbohydrates?

asntp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many of us are concerned about feeding our cats too much carbohydrates in the dry food. So I check the labels to see how much is in the dry food, and guess what - many of them don't tell you! Dry cat food packages typically will list the % of proteins and fats, but carbohydrate info is deliberately missing. Does anyone know which brands of dry cat food have the lowest carbohydrate content? I know Evo claims to have low carb, but what about other brands?

Thanks!

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think EVO is the lowest (7%). Orijen is pretty low (15%).

ETA: Wellness CORE, Nature's Variety Instinct, Timberwolf Serengeti, etc. are presumably low carb, but they don't seem to provide the info like EVO and Orijen. I'm really not interested in Serengeti, and I'm not impressed with the reviews that I've seen for Instinct or CORE. Orijen would be more expensive for me than EVO, so I don't see any reason to try it. I'm happy feeding Gracie EVO. Her poop seems a little smelly, and I'm a little concerned about her gaining weight (not a problem yet), but I don't have any major complaints about EVO.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you can tabulate with fair accurace ... add protein , fat, ash , fiber and moisture together

say one looks like this
35 protien
21 fat
7 ash
10 moisture
4 fiber
=
100-83= 17

this is a fictisous one...

G

ghostuser

Blue Buffalo has a new grain free that's supposed to be low carb, as well.. but I don't even see it on the web site yet, to know if they tell the amount..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

Blue Buffalo has a new grain free that's supposed to be low carb, as well.. but I don't even see it on the web site yet, to know if they tell the amount..
that should be interesting

NOTE to ALL some GRAIN free are high carb ... ie the starch is potato and then meat ///

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

you can tabulate with fair accurace ... add protein , fat, ash , fiber and moisture together

say one looks like this
35 protien
21 fat
7 ash
10 moisture
4 fiber
=
100-83= 17

this is a fictisous one...
Here is a real one that the formula you give does indeed hold true for.

Innova EVO dry cat and kitten food
Protein 50.5%
Fat 22.2%
Ash 9.4%
Moisture 7.5%

100% - 90.41% = 9.59% Carbs (matches what is on Natura website)