Coccidia questions

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tubee has had diarreaha every once and a while since we got him, and I was wondering if it is possible he has coccidia. I have just recently heard of this diesease so I don't know that much about it, but have read a few websites. So my main question is:

If Tubee was checked for worms when he was a baby would they have found coccidia if he had it? Supposedly the other kittens in his litter all had worms so we got him tested and he was clean.

Thanks
Manda

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What do you mean by "every once in a while"? My experience with coccidia is that it is pretty consistent until it is fully treated. Your best bet would be to have him tested.

jaustin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe my cat has coccidia (I'm taking her to the vet) and I did a little research and found this. It gives good info on what causes it, symptoms to look for and treatments.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are dealing with this right now with our new guy, Jazz. He obviously had it when at the shelter. It took two separate trips to the vet to finally get what he had. The first I took a sample in but it was probably an hour old before I got it in , the second time I took him to the vet and he pooped in his carrier right when we walked in. Then they finally found the coccidia in his stool. Anyway, my experience with it is that he had continual diarrhea , not off and on. Hope you can figure out what is wrong. Coccidia is highly contagious so that is always fun to deal with in a house with multiple cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What I meant by on and off is that as long as we have had him (since he was 2 weeks) he will get diarrhea every once and a while. Like he will have it for a week, then not have it for a month, and then have it again. It's never for a long amount of time.

Manda

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmomof3cats

What I meant by on and off is that as long as we have had him (since he was 2 weeks) he will get diarrhea every once and a while. Like he will have it for a week, then not have it for a month, and then have it again. It's never for a long amount of time.

Manda
Hopefully it is not coccidia then. From my understanding coccidia causes consistent diarrhea. I could be wrong though.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coccidia is persistant constant diarrhea. Not on & off. And it will be puddles of poo....not turds of just loose.

If you are really worried, go ahead & get another fecal done.