Flooring recommedations?

denisebr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe an odd topic but just curious what people's experiences are with the floors in their homes and cats...

We are getting ready to replace floors in our house. I have 3 cats (and a dog). We have issues with cat spraying that we are working to resolve but know that there will always be this issue. We currently have carpet which is quite difficult and time consuming to clean the cat spraying. And unless I find it right away, it stains.

So, what is the most cat friendly floor? Pluses and minuses, care required when kitty pees/marks...
Carpet (w or w/o liquid barrier padding)
Hardwood
Engineered hardwood

Tile would probably be the best for cat pee but not really into having a house full of hard tile :-)

My husband is not real happy about spending a lot of money just to have it stained a week later from cat pee. When we first moved in our house, one of our cats 'made it his home' and my husband still growls at that (he isn't quite the cat lover that I am, but he loves me and thus tolerates).

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have wood and I love it. The cats sometimes slide when they are running but it doesnt stop them.

Is your cat spraying as in marking territory or peeing with a possible UTI?

I would think spraying would be on the wall and peeing would be on the floor.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have stained concrete downstairs and LOVE it. It is so easy to clean up. The cats actually love sliding on it when they are playing. We have area rugs around to help. And if need be, replacing a small area rug is so much cheaper to do then having to re-carpet a whole room if it gets ruined by pee.
We have wood floors upstairs and have not had a problem with the cats with those either. I highly recommend Stained concrete first then wood floors second.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

We have stained concrete downstairs and LOVE it. .
I love stained concrete! I bet your floors are beautiful!

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I love stained concrete! I bet your floors are beautiful!
Yes we really love them. I will have to post a picture of them. I especially love them cause with three boys and four cats things get messy and they are so easy to clean.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We're currently looking to replace flooring in several rooms due to problems with the cats and carpet. I've been looking at DuraCeramic Tiles, which I really like the look of, but they are spendy. (about 9.50 a sq ft installed, which does not include prep)

Doesn't the concrete crack? I've seen this done in several really nice stores and they had huge cracks. I know there's a difference between residential and commercial use, but this would still concern me.

On carpet, are there pads that will not allow the moisture through? (not to mention smell?)

Our house is too old to float a hardwood floor. (originally built in the 1890's with several additions) I would love to do all DuraCeramic, but there are stairways involved and the cost would be out of line.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

Doesn't the concrete crack? I've seen this done in several really nice stores and they had huge cracks. I know there's a difference between residential and commercial use, but this would still concern me.
The concrete is not perfect since with houses you have settling cracks that happen in the foundation. We have a couple small fracture lines but you cannot see them unless you are looking for them...the stain helps hide them. Thankfully these are just small fracture lines and not huge cracks like you are describing. That is just how the foundation goes no matter what.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denisebr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are actually spraying (mostly walls, did hit my husbands cell phone on the kitchen counter and his school book...he was NOT happy. I tease him that they want him to cuddle more with them or they are warning him that I belong to them
). Talked to the vet and did bring one in that I caught peeing in the middle of the floor. He checked out fine. The vet thinks it is all behavioral since the problem significantly increased with the 3rd addition.

I am glad to hear wood floors haven't been problematic with the cats. That is what we are leaning towards doing through the main traffic areas. Just worried if they did spray what quickly it would damage.

As far as question about water proof pad, I am sure I had seen that they offer a pad that has a plastic type layer on top to stop liquid from soaking thru to the pad. I have to check again but I will definitely let you know. I am hoping it is still available. Besides the cats, I have 3 kids 6 yrs and younger so stains are fairly common in my house.