Cats and Toilets

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your cat like toilets? My Butzie follows me into the bathroom. When I flush, she stretches up to watch the water go down and start to fill up. Then she puts her paws in the bowl until the water gets too high. But the other day, she drank the new water. Really, her dish has water in it. I thought only dogs did this.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Buster is notorious for drinking out of the toilet. It drives me nuts! I always remember to put the seat down but my roommates forget. Sometimes when I can't find Buster, I know to look in the other bathroom. If his paws are also wet, then I know what he's been up to. Of course he has a DOG-SIZED water feeder that I refill with fresh water daily but it's not good enough for him. I read that cats will drink water in unusual places just for the sake of the hunt/thrill. My friend's cat drinks out of her water glass, which is gross. Buster doesn't do that, at least!

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got home from work, went into the bathroom, and had Pepper playing in the toilet when I flushed it
. Goofy boy! Both of my kitties drink out of the toilet for whatever reason. They have a fountain, but they still like the toilet water.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We keep our lids down all the time (except when using them).

So they really don't have a fascination with toilets anymore.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trout loves drinking out of the toilet..LOVES it. I have to keep it down...if I leave it up by accident, she will go to town drinking out of there.

She looks at her water bowl in disgust and meows at me to open the toilet lid

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hah...Ike LOVES to sit with me in the bathroom...and loves to watch the toilet flush!
If I don't let her in with me, she will wait patiently outside the door.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, two of our cats love the toilet. If the toilet seat is left up, Oreo well even put her front paws into the water to drink from it.
With three boys (and DH) in the house, it is a battle to remind them all to keep the toilet seat closed. They always have fresh water but it is just not as good as fresh, flushed toilet water.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The toilet and I are enemies. My Cassy used to do the toilet thing behind my back. After a VERY costly trip to the vet because she got an infected sore on her head, I made her this:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...LJ:en%26sa%3DN

I don't like plastic, the only thing plastic in the above is the filter. I used real rocks instead of the glass beads and I used ivy instead of flowers.

Cassy
her new fountain!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiger likes to play in the toilet water, even in his water bowel! I caught him while I was taking a shower earlier today standing up to put his two paws in the toilet and splashing away. He's curious about the shower too but he won't get in.
He makes such a mess on the toilet seat!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

My friend's cat drinks out of her water glass, which is gross. Buster doesn't do that, at least!
Oh, Little One does that all the time! Water, Pepsi, whatever, if it is in a glass that she can get her face in she will lap it up! She doesn't seem to like rum and coke though...one lick and she looked at us like we were crazy!

Our cats don't drink out of the toilet, but Harley love to drop his toys in there. I remember to put the lid down, but DH doesn't always remember (surprise) so I've had to fish out toy mice and scrunchy balls. Other than that they basically leave them alone.

Oh, except for Gizmo who taught himself how to flush it! The handle has the the teeth marks to prove it.

apples

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of my crazy kitties have drunk from the loo. They wont leave the bathroom alone. They follow me in there and look at me wierdly when I use the loo, almost as if to say "How are you gonna scratch in that you silly human". I have caught them several times sleeping on it while the lid is down, and when they were younger, their curiosity got the better of them and they decided to jump up onto the loo while the lid was up. Resulting in grumpy kitties and me cleaning up trails of water left around the house.
Cleo usually drinks from one of the three water bowls we have, but Pineapple is the funny one, she drinks from my glass (only from my glass), she will jump up to the bathroom sink and drink from around the plughole, she will lick the water off my just cleaned dishes. She tried to drink the water that comes out of the washing mashine when it is on spin cycle, but soon learnt that it had icky tasting soap in it. She is an oddball at the best of times, she even turns her nose up at a tin of tuna or that special kitty milk.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine don't drink from it but, Rowdy likes to watch the water swirl around, when I flush. I have a padded toilet seat and she will push the lid down and lay on it.

Opie trained himself to pee in the toilet. Guess he likes that padded seat better than gritty litter. He still poops in the box but, I wish he would train the other two.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

We keep our lids down all the time (except when using them).

So they really don't have a fascination with toilets anymore.
That doesn't stop Fawn. Human heads for toilet, Fawn comes running after and waits impatiently for the business to be concluded so she can watch the water, then turns a wide-eyed face up, as much as to say, "It went DOWN! It came UP! Why does it DO that Mum?"

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mitzi is curious but I think she seems nervous of it when it actually rises. She watches, head cocked to one side, and then she she just stares. She'd probably fall in if she got too curious!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jarvis

Hah...Ike LOVES to sit with me in the bathroom...and loves to watch the toilet flush!
If I don't let her in with me, she will wait patiently outside the door.
That would be Lucky, she feels the need to supervise

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

...Opie trained himself to pee in the toilet. Guess he likes that padded seat better than gritty litter. He still poops in the box but, I wish he would train the other two.
Trained himself? Oy, I am SO jealous!! A prince among cats!

My feral family got most of their socialization done while I was in the bathroom...kittens taking the lead from Myrtle (Mom), who figured out that - for whatever reason - I was pinned in place when sitting on the "facility" and therefore safer to approach. Now I can't go in there without the whole herd stampeding in for petting. I have taken to singing a modified version of "You'll Never Walk Alone".

They enjoyed watching the flush until one day Piglet jumped in...he came outta that bowl at about warp factor six, and got everyone else wet, so now they aren't so interested.