Hard decision

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat's being treated for an aggressive cancer. He did well the first couple of chemo treatments, but earlier this week he developed a fever and had to be admitted to the vet hospital. They said it's a reaction to the chemo and his white blood count has dropped very low. The good news is the vet thinks he will pull through this episode.

But now I have to decide whether to stop the chemo (they won't do it till he's well again) entirely since a future episode like this could kill him. Also, I hate to see him lose time he has left in the hospital - i know how much he wants to be home. But stopping chemo almost certainly means the cancer will come back, and probably fast, and I'll lose him soon.

I just honestly don't know what to do.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what an heartbreaking time for you. I honestly cant offer any advise as I have no idea but what does your vet suggest?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Maybe talk to your vet and see if there is something you can do at home to help him if he has another episode so he doesn't have to go to the hospital.

The only other advise is to look into your heart to find the answer. Spend time with him and he will let you know. I will say some prayers that you find your way in this terrible decision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It's very hard. He's still in the hospital and I just want to bring him home.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

The only other advise is to look into your heart to find the answer. Spend time with him and he will let you know.
I agree.
Cats have a way of letting you know when they're ready, and you will know in your heart when it's time to let go. It's never an easy decision to make, but if it's his time to cross over, you both will rest easy when your kitty's no longer suffering.

I'm so sorry to hear that your precious baby is ill.
I will keep you both in my prayers, and will be sending good vibes.

~KK~