Mac or PC...

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What do you prefer?
I don't know anyone personally that is good with a Mac, & that kind of stinks cuz a co worker gave me a nice iMac ...it was given to his Mom, who didn't like it & thus wanted to pass it on. It is a nice computer, but different. I have practically no experience with these things at all & am back to the basics, learning stuff all over again. I feel that it is worth my time spent to learn this system, as different as it may seem at first. What the heck, right?
I'm just looking for opinions, wondering what you might like better, & why.
Also, I know basically nothing about Macs, so any advice would be sincerely appreciated!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually tell people that if you're into graphics and the computer arts, go for the Mac. They are great for producing movies, images, etc, but are on the expensive side if you're 'just going to surf the internet and check email'. I mean, unless you have the money to thow around.

Sort of funny too..if you knew me 10 years ago I absolutely HATED macs. That was back in the Apple II era where they crashed every 15 minutes.

However if you're just surfing and doing light stuff like checking emails and using Word *maybe* Excel, then just buy a cheapy PC.

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Macs have their pros...mostly in the graphic design fields....but I'm a die-hard PC fan...there's a lot of arguing about it, but I just feel like the Macs are a waste of money to have something that works COMPLETELY different that everything I know/love about computers.

Maybe I am just bitter because I can't afford one

Either way, if you get a FREE one, that's great...but I wish you good luck on using it

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOW a free MAC ...

that said I know both well ... I use a PC due to using it for business and I am not in the art or music biz...

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't want your iMac, I'll take it!!

I prefer Macs, and for a long time I ran both a Windows PC and a Mac, but I haven't had a Mac for several years because a couple of the applications I need to use don't come in Mac versions and they're such performance hogs that using them under a Windows emulator on a Mac would be just not practical, and running some apps on one and some on the other just became too impractical as well. I'd love to see a Mac with which I could run Mac OS and Windows simultaneously on the one machine without having to toggle or reboot. Oh, and prices in the same ballpark.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was Mac when Mac wasn't cool!
I use PC too, but I've yet to find any kind of work that doesn't go better with Mac -- including spreadsheets and all those non-creative things.

Mac is easy, Mac is intuitive, Mac is fun! And Mac is much more broadbased than most people realize -- it's been a long, long, LONG time since the old "Macs are only for artists" claim was accurate. You can even run Windows on a Mac if you want to!

If you're into gaming, Mac isn't the ideal platform, simply because fewer games are made for it. But for everything else, I'll stack my Mac up against a PC any day!

MAC RUUUUUUULES!!!

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Mac is easy, Mac is intuitive, Mac is fun! And Mac is much more broadbased than most people realize -- it's been a long, long, LONG time since the old "Macs are only for artists" claim was accurate. You can even run Windows on a Mac if you want to!
MAC RUUUUUUULES!!!
I agree with you there. My DH runs PC on his Mac cause he has to use a PC for his software he creates on pocket PCs.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the computer session of parent's orientation at our daughter's college, we were told which version of OS's our kid needed. We were also told what anti-virus software we needed for a PC but for the MAC we needed none! There are 4 of us in our family and 3 of us have MACs. Hubby needs a PC for work, or he would have a MAC, too.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no...I'm the oddball

My main box is a PC; but it isn't running windows. I have it loaded with the Beta for the next distro of Ubuntu Linux (7.10). I have 1 Laptop running Windows XP, another one running 2 partitions, Windows XP and the stable version of Ubuntu (7.04). I ALSO have a Mac Mini that I bought just to see if I would like Mac's, which it turns out I do
Since Linux and Mac OS are both UNIX based, it was easy for me to pick up pretty quickly.

And....I have a new miniature desktop running Windows Vista; they gave it to me at work because they upgraded the entire network and want everyone on the same page.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thoroughly agree....MAC

I find Macs to be very forgiving, completely intuitive, crash less (to a point), excellent search and retrieve, fast browsing, quality work and quality programs. you know how some windows programs are pretty glitchy? Macs really are all top quality.

The only thing I'll say about Macs is when something goes wrong - it's usually DREADFULLY wrong.

Get extended care

My first laptop crashed right out of the box. I sent it back and got another, it was good - the screen would go black (which is almost 'normal' because it happens to so many macs) and I'd have to shut the lid to get it to come back on...

That laptop - I ended up replacing the motherboard.

Sooooooooooo This is my second laptop in 3 years - and I'm on my 3rd motherboard

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so right!

The first Mac I ever worked on was a brand-new Mac Plus, which one of my freelance clients owned. I had used one of those old IBM typewriters with a tiny little memory and a tiny little screen about an inch high and six inches long, and I thought that was the coolest thing in the world... so the Mac just blew me away! Love at first sight...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol everyone i know that has a mac, has given them up. Lack of support, lack of software. But hey if was free, then great!! but if someone gave me one, i would learn to use it also

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mac, mac, mac, mac, mac. There? happy?

I have both Mac and PC at home... I love my Mac, am typing on it right now. WHy? Because it wasn't hanging up and crashing every five minutes. Yes, Macs have their issues, but nine times out of ten, it's a very easy fix. Much more user-friendly then the PC. I have yet to work with Linux, but intend to once I have the chance. My main PC gets turned on maybe once a week now. I also have a PC laptop, which runs nicely only because it's on W98 and isn't on the internet, etc...

I was using Mac back in the 80's, snagging time on my brother's machine while he was away at college. Hey, it was easier than hand-writing a lot of stuff. Yes, I'm one of those creative types but I have a strong analytical side as well (comes from having an Engineer father, Geologist brother, Librarian mother, etc). Now, I find my Mac easy for both sides of my brain: analytical and creative.

And for those of us who use, or have used, both over the years... notice how WIndows is creeping over to the user-friendly interface style of Mac? that friendly feel everyone raves about with their PC's is really Bill Gates' take on the Mac interface. *mumble*copycat*mumble*

Take your time with the Mac... you won't regret it. How old is it, BTW? What version of OS are you using? Don't know how to check? go up to the little apple in the top left corner, click, then go to "about this mac" and it'll tell ya.

Amanda
Mac Geek and Proud of it.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

And for those of us who use, or have used, both over the years... notice how WIndows is creeping over to the user-friendly interface style of Mac?
Yes, Windows is becoming Macinized, but on the other hand, the Mac has been becoming somewhat Windowized. It's not quite as easy and user-friendly as it used to be. I always rated a new program by whether or not I could use it without opening the manual. At one time you could do that with just about everything that ran on a Mac. Not quite so much any more.

The thing I miss most is "Easter eggs" -- Bill Gates is too stuffy to allow them in Windows. I wonder do they still have them in the current Mac OS and applications? I hope Steve Jobs hasn't gotten stuffy, too, in his old age.

Windows XP isn't so bad, so long as you don't have to make any changes -- new software, new hardware. It gets the job done well enough for me.