room temp or refridge?

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our kittens love the canned food room temp.
When I open a can and have left over tho' I fridge them..

DO I have too if I know I am going to use it later in the day?

They so love the room warm food better than the just out of the fridge cold food.

I do not see any where on the can to fridge after opening (science diet)?

frogg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I always refrigerate the left overs, but sometimes before feeding it to them I put it in a microwave-safe dish and nuke it a few seconds "just to knock the chill off."

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Frogg

I always refrigerate the left overs, but sometimes before feeding it to them I put it in a microwave-safe dish and nuke it a few seconds "just to knock the chill off."
I do the same.

I think of it this way. Would you be willing to eat a meat based product that has been sitting out without refrigeration for a few hours? I know that cats digestive tracts might be more hardy than ours, but I would still be cautious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought of the micro actually but as not sure..
no I would not eay meat that has sat out..good point-tho' I am a veg head so I do not eat it any way...LOL...

tin caps? hhmmm

I have the heavy duty plastic covers you can get in the store....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I have leftover food (from the bigger cans) they are refridgerated with a cover/lid and then the next feeding the canned food is mixed with some hot water and stirred up to warm it back up.

Don't leave canned foods out to warm up on the counter.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the brands actually do say on the label to refrigerate unused leftovers.

My Mellie can somehow tell when food has been microwaved and she doesn't like it that way, so I warm up the food by letting the can soak in a pan of hot water for about 20 minutes.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

I have tin caps. I never refridgerate leftovers, I put them back in the cupboard with the cap on the can
I guess I'd have to wonder what's in the food that keeps it from going bad overnight.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always put mine in the fridge.
Annabelle usually has a little hissy fit about it, but she will eat it out of the fridge.
Gracie and Elliott are such little pigs that they don't care if it's cold or not, the just gobble it right up!

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

I guess I'd have to wonder what's in the food that keeps it from going bad overnight.
It's never left overnight. I feed breakfast lunch and dinner. The tins I use are really small so will do a small breakfast/lunch, then a whole one for dinner.

I currently have 4 kittens and an adult cat so don't have leftovers

I have to make Lola's food because she won't eat cat food. So I have the food for the day in the fridge and the rest of the bulk in the freezer. I mix the fridge stuff with a bit of hot water.