Petmate vs. CatIT fountains? Which to choose?

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey folks,

My two kittens LOVE water and I'd like to dissuade them from looking at the toilet, so I've been thinking about getting a fountain for them. I've done some searching on here through old threads about fountains and I think I've narrowed my choices down to the delux petmate or the catit. However, I have a few specific questions for those that own either or both of these before I decide.

1. How easy is it to clean?

2. How noisy is it?

3. What sort of cord/power can be used with it (I don't suppose there are any battery opperated fountains out there)?

4. Is one of the two more "spill proof" than the other?

Thanks for your help and I'd appreciate any other info you contribute!
Art

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case you want more reviews than what you will get here, you can always go to amazon.com and look at the product there. They have several reviews on each. You just may end up with information overload though! Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the CatIt and I like it. Sometimes its super quite but most of the time its a little noisy. Its easy to clean, once every month or so you need to get out a handfull of qtips and clean all the little corners. Otherwise its just soap and water. The filters are inexpensive, and its plug in power. The first Catit I got was great and then the dome broke so I sent it back and the one they sent me had parts missing and then it didnt work properly etc etc. So I ended up sending it back for a replacement like three or four times and its never been as quiet as that first one I had. But even through all that I still like it and my cats like it too, they like to drink off the dome.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a petmate deluxe. Haven't had it long but so far so good. It's almost silent (I have it in my bedroom) very easy to clean.

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got the Petmate Deluxe two weeks ago and my cat loves it. I can't comment on the CatIT but here's what I think of the Petmate fountain:

1. How easy is it to clean? It takes me about 10 minutes to clean and refill. You should clean it once a week but I prefer to do it 2x including taking apart the motor (which takes seconds).

2. How noisy is it? It's very quiet..sometimes I think it's not on because I don't even hear the water running down the ramp.

3. What sort of cord/power can be used with it (I don't suppose there are any battery opperated fountains out there)? It needs to be plugged in. The deluxe model has an on/off switch which makes it easier to turn off when taking it apart for cleanings.

4. Is one of the two more "spill proof" than the other? I've had no problems with spilling. I like to add icecubes in the bowl and it never overflows.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I've had both...and not a drinkwell, so I can give you my personal experience.

1. neither are as easy as I'd like to clean. The freshflow is hard to get into the holding container and it has some sharp corners that are a little more difficult. The catit has an easier to clean holding container, but I really hate cleaning the base (the bubble shapes and spot where you hold the filter are hard to get into). They're about the same in terms of how easy it is to take them apart, after the first or second go at it.

2. When settled properly I find them both to be rather quiet. The freshflow needed to have it's adjuster played with on the first one we had, but my mom's new one doesn't have that option and it's just fine. My catit gurgles and sputters more than the freshflow, but that's because the pump is going on it and the water isn't circulating the way it should right now.

3. Both use cords. The catit's has one that can be easily detached from the main plug, and the freshflow's can be turned off.

4. Not sure if you mean spill proof from the cats or yourself. Since we haven't had any swimmers I can tell you that the catit doesn't leak as much when you're taking the water container off and on.

5. other notes: I am currently awaiting a good deal on a new freshflow. here's why: The pump on my cat it is going, and as a result the water isn't flowing properly. I had gotten it because I thought that the pump would last longer due to the filtering process, but it hasn't. I find it difficult to fit the water tank back onto the unit properly and that can make it function much louder and improperly. There have been many instances of my sitting on the floor playing with the dang thing because of this. I don't find it easier to clean, and while I think my kitten likes my catit a tad bit more than my mom's freshflow, I don't think it makes a difference in the long run. I do like that the catit seems to hold more water however, and I like the style of them better. Also, dynah (the kitten) likes to lay next to her dish and drink sideways out of it, which the catit does well...she'll find a new way with the freshflow when it comes.

Hope it helps...if I missed anything just let me know

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a cat-it. The kitties liked it, it was very quiet, but it was a pain to clean (actually they all are) and was replaced by a drinkwell with a larger capacity.

Bella really liked the dome on the cat-it and it was really cute to watch her lick away at it.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

We had a cat-it. The kitties liked it, it was very quiet, but it was a pain to clean (actually they all are) and was replaced by a drinkwell with a larger capacity.

Bella really liked the dome on the cat-it and it was really cute to watch her lick away at it.
not intending to hijack the thread or anything, but do you like your drinkwell better?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the great information!

Nothing beats first-person experience when it comes to deciding to buy a product or not.

Yes, I will be on Amazon reading all of the reviews for the fountains I'm thinking about getting... Actually, I am planning on ordering the fountain on Amazon, as they have both the petmate deluxe and the catIT for around $29...which is at least $10 cheaper than at my local pet chain stores.

So far it sounds about even with regards to noise level and ease of cleaning...

What is the footprint of the fountains (i.e. about how much room do they take up)?

Also, for those that have the catit, does it's odd shape make it harder to fit on a standard plastic pet mat? I ask because I am currently using one under the kittens food/water bowls (they DO like to play and put things in their water). The mat I'm using is about 12" x 24" ans has a ~1" rim around the edges to prevent the water that spills out from getting on the floor.

And, one last general fountain question (at least until I think of some more things to ask you guys).

What surface do you have your fountains on (carpet, wood, linolium, etc.) and would you reccommend only putting it on a hard, non-porous surface?

I ask because my house is pretty much all carpet, except for the kitchen/den (wood) and the bathrooms/laundry room (linolium)-which they aren't allowed in). Finding a suitable area with a plug and a hard, non-porous surface might be a problem, but hopefully the plastic mat will help out there.

Thanks again!
Art

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated the CatIt. It was a pain to clean and set up.

My cats liked CatIt, Petmate and Drinkwell. Currently we have the Drinkwell. I've heard the motor lasts longer. Stimpy isn't a huge fan. He still likes his water bowl.

Our Petmate fountain, the motor burned out between 1 and 2 years of use.

The CatIt I wasn't happy with and donated. We had a cheapie fountain for a year that was a knock-off of the Drinkwell, when it started going bad I bought the Drinkwell and gave away the old one. (I did get the old one working again before giving it away)

Both the Drinkwell and Petmate can be put on the top rack of the diswasher, just check the instructions. That's the only way I've gotten ours truly clean. If we move and don't have a dishwasher, I will have to get the Drinkwell brush cleaning set.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

I made my own fountain because I don't like plastics. See:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144020
That's really cool!
I wish I would have thought of that. I tried something similar but I used a Rubbermaid tub. The cats didn't like it.
So I returned the filter. I think mine splashed too much, I can see the fish bowl wouldn't.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I hated the CatIt. It was a pain to clean and set up.

My cats liked CatIt, Petmate and Drinkwell. Currently we have the Drinkwell. I've heard the motor lasts longer. Stimpy isn't a huge fan. He still likes his water bowl.

Our Petmate fountain, the motor burned out between 1 and 2 years of use.

The CatIt I wasn't happy with and donated. We had a cheapie fountain for a year that was a knock-off of the Drinkwell, when it started going bad I bought the Drinkwell and gave away the old one. (I did get the old one working again before giving it away)

Both the Drinkwell and Petmate can be put on the top rack of the diswasher, just check the instructions. That's the only way I've gotten ours truly clean. If we move and don't have a dishwasher, I will have to get the Drinkwell brush cleaning set.
Yeah, that's about how long we had both our fresh flow and now my cat it (the pump is actually literally falling apart). Mom points out that it's the same pump, and while I could order a new one for my catit, it'd still be hard to put together and I'd end up fiddling with it again.
Given that you've done all three, which one would you buy again? How long have you had the drinkwell?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

Yes, I will be on Amazon reading all of the reviews for the fountains I'm thinking about getting... Actually, I am planning on ordering the fountain on Amazon, as they have both the petmate deluxe and the catIT for around $29...which is at least $10 cheaper than at my local pet chain stores.
Just a small recommendation to look for the catit with the extra area for drinking out of. I've seen them with just the dome and no little "waterdish" attached and I can honestly say my cats wouldn't go near it if that's what i had.

What surface do you have your fountains on (carpet, wood, linolium, etc.) and would you reccommend only putting it on a hard, non-porous surface?
Art
I would try to get it on a hard surface. That being said, I don't have mine on there. I bought a cheap semi-soft placemat from the dollar store and have that under my fountain. Sometimes I need to move it around to get the full dome covered, but really it's not all that hard to deal with. Come to think of it, I don't even know if I need the placemat, I had bought it with the intention of my very messy cats not getting food all over the floor, but they move their dish and the placemat is very clean while the carpet is a mess!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Yeah, that's about how long we had both our fresh flow and now my cat it (the pump is actually literally falling apart). Mom points out that it's the same pump, and while I could order a new one for my catit, it'd still be hard to put together and I'd end up fiddling with it again.
Given that you've done all three, which one would you buy again? How long have you had the drinkwell?
We've had the Drinkwell since May or June. I got it with a "birthday" special that Petco sent for Stimpy (Free Shipping, and it was on sale). So far I like the Drinkwell the best. The quality seems much higher than any of the other fountains. It *is* easier to clean. There aren't as many parts as the other fountains, and I stick most of it in the dishwasher. I bought it as a last ditch effort for a good fountain. I tried making my own, but the cats didn't like it. So I bought the Drinkwell, and I'm glad I did. The reviews on Petco.com had one that the person has had hers for 7 years!
I was very interested when I read that.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

not intending to hijack the thread or anything, but do you like your drinkwell better?
yes. I do like the drinkwell better. If for no other reason than it has a bigger capacity and I'm not filling it every two days. I still clean it weekly or bi-weeklly depending on my schedule.

I did like that the cat-it had a power cord that was detachable from the large plug piece.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I decided to go with the petmate delux medium size fountain. I ordered it from Amazon.com for $24.99. I got it about 5 days ago.

That said, unfortunately, it was not the "deluxe" model...just the regular. I emailed Amazon about it, but, since it works well, I won't be returning it.

So, the review.... so far.
Ease of putting together- it was ok, except for some minor trouble getting one of the large plastic pieces to snap down onto the base.

Ease of filling it up- I love the removable water container...easy to remove, easy to replace...and you can leave the fountain running when you take it off and replace it. I also like that the container is clear so you can tell when to refill it.

Quietness- Yes, the big issue, it is extremely quiet! I can't hear it running even when I'm ~1 foot above it directly. This may cange with age, but for now, it is silent.

Size- it is about 12" long x 10" across x 11" high (approx). It does fit on my plastic no-spill mat, which is nice.

Ease of cleaning- Not sure, as I haven't tried yet... I could not find any diretions on the box about cleaning it and/or whether or not part of it could be put in the dishwasher....I think the only part small enough would be the plastic water container. No really small tiny spaces though, so shouldn't be that hard to clean by hand.

Cat factor- They love it...They actually wanted to help me assemble it. I have had to refill the water container 2 times a couple of days and once a day on the other days (it holds 50 ounces total, so they must be drinking a lot). I think they are drinking more water now than they were and I have taken up their old water bowls now that the fountain is out.

The cats have only put one thing in the fountain so far (a paper towel, yuck!), so, I'm crossing my fingers that they won't experiment with anything else.

All in all, I'd give it 5 stars as of now, but we'll wait and see if it continues to perform well.

Art
p.s. if anyone has one of these and does wash part/all of it in the dishwasher, please let me know if that works well for you and what parts you wash.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

p.s. if anyone has one of these and does wash part/all of it in the dishwasher, please let me know if that works well for you and what parts you wash.
Right before our Freshflow died, we moved to an apartment with a dishwasher. It cleaned the fountain really well.
I think I washed the big pieces and hand washed the little ones. It's been 3 years so I can't remember exactly.

I do the same for our Drinkwell now.