alternate litter box cleaning suggestions?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The largest sink I have to clean the the litterboxes in is the kitchen sink.
Which I find to be gross as an option to clean them in.

I had a utility tub at the last location, but here I do not have one. What do you guys use?

I've just been using Lysol and paper towels the last two weeks, but am wondering if there are alternatives.

Thanks!

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

The bathtub? Or outside with the hose?
That's what I do... I use the hose as long as I can, even in winter as long as it's not too cold. When I'm short on time I just use the tub!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use the bathtub, or the hose outside of our building.

The bathtub isnt a bad idea, I just give it a good cleaning when I'm done!

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The boxes get a quick rinse in the bathroom sink, then poured down the toilet. Then the windex or whatever/paper towel thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our landlord is bringing us a hose next week...so that may work (we didn't ask for one, she already bought and told us)

Yea I would really have to scrub...maybe the sink/toilet combo will work. B is very er..um..sensitive towards the tub. He won't take showers if I leave my hair in the tub.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another vote here for a hose outside. Actually, the thought of doing it anywhere else sort of turns my stomach.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the hose outside. If the kitchen sink was the only place I had to clean the litter boxes I would use disposable boxes and throw everything out. The danger of E. coli contamination in the kitchen makes me shudder.

4kittiesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take the boxes outside after dumping the litter, spray in a 50/50 bleach/water combo, let them sit for a few minutes and then rinse them out really good and dry them off. That way I feel like I've got most of the germs

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately for us the biggest sink is in the laundry where the tray is. I would suggest buying a baby bathtub and washing the trays outside. Obviousely tip/scrape off as much waste as you can seperately into a bag/bin then clean the rest in hot water/detergant. At the shelter once the trays were dried we sprayed on a combo of water/some sort of antiseptic/waterless wash gel. I dont remember the ingredients, theres a special tap system that sprays it all out at once into the bottles.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pennicat

Another vote here for a hose outside. Actually, the thought of doing it anywhere else sort of turns my stomach.
Me too, I have to take it outside.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How about a steam cleaner? I've been using one for years, and it's great for litter boxes. The big ones are expensive, but there are now small hand-held ones that would be enough to clean the boxes.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i use disposable antibacterial cleaning wipes because i can just throw them away with the old litter and put the whole lot including the old litter in the bin at the same time.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the summer I wash them outside with garden hose. The rest of the year, they get washed in my shower-over-tub, which is equipped with a hand-held shower spray nozzle. That makes it easier to wash and rinse.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use our guest bathroom's bathtub to clean the litterpans out in. I scoop all the litter out and wipe any excess down before putting it in the tub and put one of those hair catcher things over the drain so no litter goes down it, only water. Then i take a scrub brush and dish soap and clean them really well. I scrub ours down at least once a week
When i'm done i just clean out the bathtub really well.