Canned dog food...can any be fed to cats?

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if there are any brands/specific types of canned dog food that could be fed to cats. Not as a staple, mind you, but as something to add to the rotation of wet foods. I know that most are usually lower in protien and differ in other ways, but are there some premium (or not so premium) brands of canned dog food that are close to cat food in protien percentage, etc. and could be safely added to their rotation?

Specifically, I'd be looking at authority, nutro, natural balance, castor & pollux, by nature, blue buffalo, and royal canin as the brands that I can find locally. But I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on other brands as well.
Thanks,
Art

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HI! I'm not too sure. The only one I've seen that can be fed to both is Nature's Variety raw. I can't speak on anything else. I would think that dogs and cats need different food sources in different amounts. i.e. cats need more protein than dogs, dogs can efficiently use carbs for energy, while cats cannot. Perhaps others have more insight.

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People do it all the time. I mean people who know what they are doing ...

I cannot tell you specific brands, but I know there are people with IBD cats who just supplement high-protein dog food with additional Taurine.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4meezers3kids

People do it all the time. I mean people who know what they are doing ...

I cannot tell you specific brands, but I know there are people with IBD cats who just supplement high-protein dog food with additional Taurine.
I have done this with a vet guideance ONLY

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I take it that this is not a good idea, even just on an ocassional basis?

Thanks,
Art

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

So I take it that this is not a good idea, even just on an ocassional basis?

Thanks,
Art
Well I wouldnt suggest it ... I work closely with my vet ...I used dog food with a CRF cat and had to read and watch stuff
.... IE many dog and cats have the same protein and fat but minerals and taurine amounts differ