I had a 'good' experience at the ER

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the hospital last night just before midnight and had a DECENT time in the ER. My heart was beating weird (or so it felt). Got into the emergency ward pretty quickly (we didn't even have to wait in the waiting room) and had my blood pressure done and it was REALLY HIGH. The cute doctor guy--he was Australian--listened to my heart and asked me if I was on drugs. HA. I wasn't.

So I was given a pill to take (lorazepam) because I was shaking like a leaf and was starting to have a panic attack. It's pretty much a tranquilizer that dissolves under your tongue. They took my temperature and I had an electrocardiogram (or, in the fun German way, ELEKTROKARDIOGRAMM) done. The "cable" things clipped to the little tabs stuck to my skin kept falling off and the first reading wasn't correct cause I wasn't laying ~flat on the hospital bed. After that I had my blood drawn and, of course, it wasn't working right because my veins weren't 'showing up'. Yadda yadda so they took my blood pressure again and there was nothing wrong with my heart. My potassium levels were low so they gave me 2 pills for that. Got home just before 2 am.

Overall, the doctors and nurses were very nice. The 'dracula' who did my blood tests was kind enough to use a small needle on my arm. I've had some not-so-good times at the ER but this one was the best. Last time I went to the ER I was having a full blown panic attack and they wouldn't help me calm down. The nurses were funny too--joking around and stuff, trying to make me laugh. Just thought I'd post this and say, yeah, emergency rooms aren't always bad and slow!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish American ER's were like that! I'm glad you had a decient time at the ER and that they were good to you/made you feel more at ease! Sounds like you had some good doctors/nurses caring for you

Are you feeling better today hon?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I wish American ER's were like that! I'm glad you had a decient time at the ER and that they were good to you/made you feel more at ease! Sounds like you had some good doctors/nurses caring for you

Are you feeling better today hon?
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

I'm glad everything went smoothly at the ER and that you're ok.
Thanks for asking. I feel a lot better, but I'm kind of tired.

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you finally had a GOOD ER experience. I've had funny ones so far (luckily!) but I've heard of people having -awful- ones.
I hope you're feeling better now!

One time, when I had a kidney infection, my ER doctor was this elderly man who wore his doctor's coat completely buttoned up. He had white hair and a perfectly trimmed white beard. He was fond of speaking slowly and pausing for dramatic emphasis. Seriously, he was like some old school bad Shakespearian actor! I was so loopy from my fever I really thought he was hysterical.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you're at least feeling better!

I've never had a bad experience, but I have had some less than stellar
my advice? try not to go in during a shift change

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I didn't know it was possible to get in and out that fast
One time I went and I waited for 6 hours and they haden't even gotten around to looking at my chart yet. I got up and left after that.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thats so great that you had a good ER experience, I think thats quite rare!

I guess I've never had any big problems with them here either, but I've heard some stories!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Low potassium can cause both weakness and an irregular heartbeat. Try having a banana once a day -- it really helps my father!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that our health system is still working.

The reason you didn't have to wait to see a doctor is because you went in with "heart" related symptoms and those are top priority. Trust me if you had arrived there with nausea or a back ache or even a broken limb you would have had to wait.

Sounds like they did all of the required tests. It sounds like it was the low potassium that was causing your heart to beat irregularly. You should have a glass of Orange Juice everyday, as well as a banana to make sure that it doesn't drop again.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you were taken care of promptly. I might add, walking in bleeding all over the place gets you rushed right through the waiting room, but I don't suggest that to anyone.

Actually to get the minimum potassium needed it would take around 8 bananas a day.
It would be much better to find out what is causing you to have low potassium.

Mine is low and I think I know one of the causes... I drink a lot of pepsi and very little juice.
Phosphorous causes problems with both calcium and magnesium, and low magnesium can cause problems with potassium.