I am definitely a hoarder.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup. I have to admit it.

I am a hoarder. I come from a family of neurotics, with a depression era hoarding background. However, I like to think that I am a step improved from my mother, and two steps improved over her mother with my personal neurosis.

I would love to "collect" cats. I would love to have hoards (pun intended) of them roaming my home. I am jealous of those that own upwards of a dozen of the little beasties.

But I am not mentally ill (well, ok, not TOTALLY
) and I recognize that I can and should only have as many cats as I can give proper care and attention to. I have a limit that is based upon my income and budget. So I can't simply take in cat after cat, and I won't. I stay AWAY from the shelters and the petfinder website, because the temptation is there. I can and do resist.

I give my three a lot of attention, take them to annual vet checks for wellness, feed high quality dry, groom them as best as I can, have adopted a feral kitten who has turned into the most wonderful, special little lovebug.

I research, I self-educate, I do what I need to do so I can be a good "parent" to my furkids.

But...I am a hoarder. I can't help it. Right now, I have enough dry cat food and enough wet cat food to last a MINIMUM of three months for each cat.

But my fridge is empty except for condiments, and I have nothing in my cabinets, save for dried pasta, that is fit for human consumption.

It's definitely a sickness. I think I would hoard cat litter, too, if the packages weren't SO heavy.

Oh - and them there are the cat toys. I have more than 150 furry mice in the house, and scores of catnip toys, dozens of wands, at least three laser pointers...

Do you think I need professional help?

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can relate, except you have much more discipline in the cat "hoarding" department. I take good care of my cats and feed them quality foods so I don't think I am what most people would consider a "hoarder". At least that's what I'm going to continue telling myself.

No, I don't think you need professional help because if you do then a whole lot of the rest of us do too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Well, i'll only answer yes if you have over 3 of those shirts with the overly cutesie kittens on the front of them.

If you have 3 of those shirts

YES!

SEEK HELP!
I have NO shirts with cats or kittens on them. Phew!

I guess I'll be okay, then!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
if you need help, Betsy, I REALLY need help

Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Well, i'll only answer yes if you have over 3 of those shirts with the overly cutesie kittens on the front of them.

If you have 3 of those shirts

YES!

SEEK HELP!
PJ's don't count, do they??

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need help, then I do too!!
Even tho I have just 2 (we're thinking about a 3rd) but I feed my cats better than myself & John & they have more toys than any cat would possibly need!)

Along with 60 of those furry mice that SOMEONE sent them

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Along with 60 of those furry mice that SOMEONE sent them
Well, they DO tend to multiply...

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Well, they DO tend to multiply...
Those mice are Bayley's best friend! He's now learned how to OPEN the box of the remaining 30 or so mice, and flick them out with his paw, and chase them!

Now when they all "dissapear" - a.k.a- under the bed & furniature, we'll end up needing more... you know, for the poor deprived baby

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TCS is my professional help

I do sometimes envy hoarders...I would LOVE to own lots, but once we got whitey and had 4 cats that all needed special one on one attention then I realized I was at my limit. B and I both came to that conclusion and I said that we'd have to lose one or two before we got another one.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh boy, same same.

I actually went to a friend's house to visit for awhile today and my BF told me he was, "glad that the cat lady left the house for a little bit".

haha, I just can't stand to leave them for too long

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know just what you mean. Except I can't afford to hoard food for 5 cats. But I am very proud of myself that recently when a co-worker had to re-home her cats, I did NOT offer to take them. (I did think about it, though.
)

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too am a hoarder.

I have 13 cats and 2 dogs
I have 600 pounds of litter sitting in my basement closet
I have 2 pantry drawers stocked with canned cat food
I have 2 large bins of dry cat food
I have 2 large bins of dog food
I have an entire pantry drawer full of treats
I have a drawer full of brushes and other pet odds and ends
I have a book case shelf dedicated to pet books
I have at 1 - 3 cat tree(s) in every room (excluding bathrooms)
I have a walk in closet full of cat and dog beds and toys
I have another room dedicated to making cat and dog toys
That room has a walk in closet full of materials, a separate floor to ceiling cabinet full of materials and 4 sewing machines
And I can't walk more than a few feet without walking on a toy or bed
In a 3500 square foot house

Oh yeah, and I have at least 10 shirts with cats or dogs on them.

And you're worried?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I feel better now.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not one to say if you need help or not, but if so, we can go together!

Alot of people have different styles of hoarding. Some women are crazy about shoes, some people are crazy about collectibles, you name it, I think it's all just different ways to make ourselves feel secure for whatever reason.
Me? I have to resist hoarding paper. I'm an artist, but will want to buy paper that I don't even need & have trouble throwing old notebooks away. I used to have dreams about paper, like walking into Office Depot with stacks of paper!
And colors. Like for example I walk by a display of embroidery thread with all of the colors..I want to buy it all, knowing in the back of my mind I'll never use it. Same with fabrics & beads. It's a battle, knowing I could do this or I could make that someday, but I have to fight it, have to remember that too much of this stuff is not good, it will only sit around & ruin my focus on the art I really need to do. It makes me feel like some sort of strange bird, wanting to collect things.
But I see what you mean about cats! They are very difficult to resist, aren't they? (must...resist...Tuxedo Cat collection...)

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fostered some cats from a hoarder. It is not a pretty sight! She had some kitties that were so wild that they were like ferals, although they had never been outside.

Her house was so full of stuff that she had to move sideways down hallways and through rooms to get around. When the city got involved, she lost all her dogs and cats. My foster agency was able to take the preggers cats and kittens. Most of them got adopted. A few have severe cardiac problems, likely from inbreeding.

This is an intelligent person, who loved her cats. All her other adult cats went to someone to hold them for her, but over a year later, I doubt if she will ever see them again. I was able to return the 2 preggers girls I had to her, and she is very happy with how tame they are now. One still can't be pet easily, but the other cuddles with her a lot.

I know you are just joking around, and I hate to be a wet blanket. But the reality is that it is likely that we have some hoarders posting here. (And I don't mean Mom of Many, who cares well for her babies, and gets them the needed vet care!)

Hope I don't get flames for returning cats to her, but they are spayed now, and she LOVES them, and they are not real adoptable due to their skittishness. I believe that she will care for them well, and I hope that she never takes in another pet that she cannot afford to spay or neuter!