Feline Herpes & L-Lysine

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jordan is getting 500 mg a day of L-Lysine because he has a history of F.H. The problem is he is also on Pred. I've noticed some sporatic sneezing lately and I'd really prefer to stop it before it flares up completely. I'd call his vet but it's Friday & he doesn't work Friday's. So I'll call on Monday, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can give him more than 500 mg?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dosage depends on the weight, age and overall health of the indivudal cat. Call your after hours emergency vet and give them her info - weight/etc and ask if it would be ok to increase her dosage during a flair up (in most instances it's ok- but do double check since she's on other medicine as well)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I left a message with the vet who saw him last time he had a flare up, I'm hoping he calls. His regular vet won't be back until Monday. The only thing that concerns me is that last time I left a message they waited for his regular vet to get back to me.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I talked to the vet last night & he said he can get 1000 mg long term if needed. So I stared him right away yesterday. He was sneezing quite a bit last night, but nothing this morning. I'm hoping I caught this in time. My poor baby has been through enough without being super ill again.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet offered that we could give Muddy up to 1500mg a day during extreme flare ups. Muddy is about 12 pounds and otherwise healthy.

Vibes to Jordan!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My vet offered that we could give Muddy up to 1500mg a day during extreme flare ups. Muddy is about 12 pounds and otherwise healthy.

Vibes to Jordan!
Thanks he needs those vibes. The vet did say we could go higher if needed, but to try 1000 mg a day first. Jordan was able to fight the FH off before he went on pred. The only thing that happend is that his eyes would watter. The problem is the Pred lowers his blood calcium levels and makes him feel better and want to eat. Hopefully this change will help him to be comfortable for a while longer.