Attention VW Owners!! From '99-'04, There is Recall On Brake Lights!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was having troubles with my car acting VERY strange. My brake lights would turn on and not turn back off! I would turn my car off, turn the lights off, nothing! Even when I was driving they wouldn't turn off. This would happen for an hour or two a day, luckily only that. Even my cruse control was affected and wouldn't work when my brake lights were acting up. Lucky for me and everyone else there was a recall on the brake lights for 1999-2004 on the brake lights and you can get them replaced for free if your car is on the list. I own a Jetta but I think it goes for all their models.

Go check it out! It's totally free and if you don't get it fixed it's very dangerous not to mention hard on your battery!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do qualify for the recall, they will send you a notice in the mail to go to your nearest shop to get it fixed, for free

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

If you do qualify for the recall, they will send you a notice in the mail to go to your nearest shop to get it fixed, for free
I think thats only if you are the first owner of the vehicle though. If it is used to you then you wouldn't be on file.

I had a recall on my sunfire years ago and I didn't know until I brought it in randomly and they informed me then because they plugged the VIN into their system.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I think thats only if you are the first owner of the vehicle though. If it is used to you then you wouldn't be on file.

I had a recall on my sunfire years ago and I didn't know until I brought it in randomly and they informed me then because they plugged the VIN into their system.
I dont think so? Because I've never owned a brand new car, always pre-owned & I've always gotten the information about recalls?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, my used truck was part of Ford's Firestone tire recall.
Never got a letter (I had only recently got the truck), but the dealer just told me to take the truck in to my local Goodyear tire center.
I got all 5 tires replaced, free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't get contacted about my Jetta. I also didn't buy from a big dealer so I don't know if that makes a difference. When I went to a VW sales place they asked if I was so and so and it hadn't been changed over to my name so he did it on his computer there at the store for me.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I didn't get contacted about my Jetta. I also didn't buy from a big dealer so I don't know if that makes a difference. When I went to a VW sales place they asked if I was so and so and it hadn't been changed over to my name so he did it on his computer there at the store for me.
That probably made the difference.
I had many repairs done on my old VW's and my Saturn, so the dealers had changed the owner in the computer. Same with our old Pontiac too.