Struvite & Bilirubin Crystals - Food Altervative

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there. I posted Wednesday about my cat Merlynn who was suspected of having a UTI. Long story, short - the vet diagnosed her with Cystitis and asked me to get a urine sample because he was unable to extract any urine from her. We left with Salmon Oil - to provide Omega 3/6 fatty acids - and an anti-anxiety pill because the vet is more than likely the new guy, Kink (3 mo old kitten) is causing her stress, thus causing this.

I brought in the urine this morning and they found blood, struvite and bilirubin crystals. The doctor recommended only a change in diet - Royal Canin S/O. The ingredients are horrid. I asked the vet tech exactly what made this diet good for her condition and he could not help me.

I recently changed her food to Orijen (completely this week) because the Cal Natural was getting her chunky and she is a dry food addict. Every once in a while she'll surprise me and eat a good portion of Wellness canned - grain free. I also have NV raw beef medallions in the freezer she sometimes is in the mood for.

All these foods are good for UTI health - according to other threads in this forum. So I'm glad I am actually feeding them to her.

I really do not want to have to feed her the S/O diet if something else with a better ingredient list is out there. Any suggestions???

Please and thank you.

kittys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Until the struvite crystals are gone, you'll probably want to feed the Royal Canin s/o. Otherwise, they may form into a "plug" or "stone" which can be life threatening.

Then you may be able to switch back over...if you moniter her ph. With Struvite crystals, I assume her ph was high (i.e. low acidity). There are litter products out there that let you check to see if the ph of your cat's urine is high. I know they sell one type at Walmart...but I can't think of what it's called. They have it right in with the litter.

I too was HORRIFIED by the Royal Canin s/o. Ask your vet for other options...the Science Diet is ever so slightly better (at least it doesn't list MEAT BY-PRODUCT as the first ingrediant). There may also be a Waltham option...but I'm not sure how those ones read...I think they are new and my vet didn't want to use them.

Also, try to get a lot of water in her. It'll help clear things up faster and prevent those crystals from forming a blockage. I recommend adding water to her wet food to make it wetter.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Kitty's Mom. I told them if I could not find anything I'd prefer, I'd be back for it. Hmmmm they didn't mention the Science Diet. I'll look that up.

Funny thing is, way back in January I purchased the Drinkwell fountain for Merlynn and my other cat so as to prevent any of this....oh well. I can only think things would be worse off if I didn't have the fountain.

kittys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they gave me both kinds for Kota last week. But, he didn't have any crystals and his ph was fine. It's mostly concentrated urine and stress that did him in.

So, I fed him the canned that they gave me, discussed it with my vet and went back to our normal foods.

You may also want to give her cosequin for cats. They sell it pretty cheap online at amazon.com or entirelypets.com:
http://www.entirelypets.com/cosequincats.html

It helps promote bladder health...and it's tuna flavored! My cats actually eat the entire gel cap. Weirdos...you're supposed to open it and sprinkle it on their food.

What type of anti-anxiety med did you get?

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sounds similar to the liquid I got for Merlynn. I completely forgot the name.

The anti-anxiety is Reconcile. It says for dogs but I asked the doctor about that before I left just in case. He said it's fine. He prescribed 1/2 pill, 1 time her day. And 1 pump of the salmon oil per day in her food. She doesn't like the oil so I put it on her paw and she licks it off.

I keep reading that raw and canned (and adding water like you said) are the way to go for this. I'd just love to not have to go with the prescription but if it's the best way, I'll do it. I know this was caused from stress. That new kitty has her so nervous...poor baby. I've been keeping them separated at night (Merlynn sleeps with me) and during the day I keep Kink alone. So Pico has Merlynn during the day and Kink at night.

I'll wait to see if anyone else has any other advice. Thanks!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned would be best .... raw if you can but TALK with a LIKE minded VET ....

Orijen has the most UTI friendly % s but they are not in the UTI certified food range

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Canned would be best .... raw if you can but TALK with a LIKE minded VET ....

Orijen has the most UTI friendly % s but they are not in the UTI certified food range
Great. Thanks. I also pulled this list from another one of your posts...

Purina
Eukanuba
Waltham/ Royal Canin
Wysong
Make RXs

Purina and Nutro both MAKE CERTIFIED Uti formulas OTC ... Print off the analysis and ask the vet if that would work

Those are all dry, correct?

My vet does offer recipes for raw diets so I'll talk to him about it.

I'll ask him about the NV raw beef. And I will definitely get her on all canned right away.

One more question: I prefer the Wellness grain free but she sometimes does not. She was sneaking the kittens' Nutro canned. Would it be okay to switch her to Nutro canned even though it does contain grains? I only worry because she's a bit chunky (10.2 lbs but short), but with canned she might be okay, right?

Oh and I should stay away from fish flavors, right?

THANKS!!

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Me again...so I called Nutro and their Max Cat and Max Cat Lite are the two that are FDA certified for UTI's. I'll pick up the Lite canned on my way home...but these weren't part of the recall were they??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grains are not EVIL...lol... Yes if she needs the UTI balenceing and yup that is the list ... Use that for wet or dry foods ... i will tell you I had luck with raw morning and canned evenings with Kandie

PLEASE no lite ... it is low fat ... protein... the adult is fine for most

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Grains are not EVIL...lol... Yes if she needs the UTI balenceing and yup that is the list ... Use that for wet or dry foods ... i will tell you I had luck with raw morning and canned evenings with Kandie

PLEASE no lite ... it is low fat ... protein... the adult is fine for most
Grains are not EVIL....

I know, but I thought it'd help with her heftiness. But most likely the canned will help with that. I'll try raw/canned and see how it goes. Thanks again, Sharky. You are always the life saver! I'll be speaking with my vet later.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One more question here:
Merlynn is strictly on Nutro canned right now for her FUS/Cystitis. Do you think that I should feed her the S/O right away until her urine is balanced and then continue with Nutro? Or will the Nutro do the same thing?

And if I get the S/O, should I use the canned instead of the dry formula? Or does that matter because it's prescription (might be a silly question - sorry)?

Dry:
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein, Min: 30.2%
Crude Fat, Min: 15.5%
Crude Fiber, Max: 5.0%
Moisture, Max: 8.5%

METABOLIZABLE ENERGY:
From Protein: 31.3%
From Fat: 38.3%
From Carbohydrate: 30.4%

Approximately 302 kcal per 8-oz cup; 412 kcal per 100 g; 73 per 8-oz cup.

INGREDIENTS:
CHICKEN MEAL, RICE, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, GROUND CORN, CHICKEN FAT, NATURAL FLAVORS, CELLULOSE POWDER, SODIUM CHLORIDE, DRIED BREWERS YEAST, DRIED EGG POWDER, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CALCIUM SULFATE, MONOSODIUM PHOSPHATE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, TAURINE, DL-METHIONINE, VITAMINS [DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL (SOURCE OF VITAMIN E), NIACIN, BIOTIN, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID], TRACE MINERALS [ZINC OXIDE, FERROUS SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, SODIUM SELENITE, CALCIUM IODATE], PRESERVED WITH NATURAL MIXED TOCOPHEROLS, ROSEMARY EXTRACT, AND CITRIC ACID.
http://www.walthamusa.com/Learning%2.../SO30-dry.html

Canned:
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein, Min: 6.0%
Crude Fat, Min: 7.0%
Crude Fiber, Max: 1.0%
Moisture, Max: 85.0%

METABOLIZABLE ENERGY:
From Protein: 31.1%
From Fat: 65.1%
From Carbohydrate: 3.8%

Approximately 170 kcal per 5.8-oz (165 g) can (103 kcal per 100 g).

INGREDIENTS:
WATER, MEAT BY-PRODUCTS, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCTS, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), NATURAL FLAVORS, TRACE MINERALS (SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, CALCIUM SULFATE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, ZINC SULFATE), GUAR GUM, CARRAGEENAN, CAROB GUM, TAURINE, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], FOLIC ACID), DL-METHIONINE.
http://www.walthamusa.com/Learning%2...30-canned.html

THANKS!!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well ... RX s are made for the disorders they treat ... I would say wet unless she has to have dry.... ingrediant wise the dry is decent ... the wet ...ummm no comment

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

well ... RX s are made for the disorders they treat ... I would say wet unless she has to have dry.... ingrediant wise the dry is decent ... the wet ...ummm no comment
I know...the ingredients are just HORRIBLE. But I'm concerned that the Nutro will not HELP her get better, but just maintain once she IS better. But that's just my assumption. What's your take on this?

I just want to make sure she doesn't get any worse and if it means sticking to Nutro canned, ok. But if it means getting her on the S/O for a month or so and then maintaining on Nutro canned, ok.

And you are our little nutrition guru! Thanks again.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to discuss it with the vet ... the corse I usually see is RX for a while then recheck then OTC ... but I am not a vet