My daughter just took in a stray

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A stray showed up in the neighborhood Wed. It meowed at everyone's door to get in the house. Extremely friendly. Of course everyone fed it but did not take it in. I have 2 cats and wasn't going to welcome a new one. This cat is long haired, has one eye completely clouded over, no front teeth. The hair is so matted, especially around its rear. It had to be a pet, its so friendly. The rep. at the local shelter is having personal problems and can't help. I made an appt. with a vet but the cat wasn't around at the time. I warned my daughter not to take it in cuz she also has a cat, but she couldn't stand the stray meowing at everyone. So today, both vets we normally use are closed. The one is open tomorrow so I'll try to get an appointment then. How could a pet owner let this cat get in this condition with the eye and not being groomed. My daughter isn't too concerned about diseases since her cat has had all his shots. The plan is to get this stray the medical help it needs and then try to get her adopted. Wish us luck.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is usually OK to take such homeless cat in, if you take appropriate precautions.
The homecat having all usual shots.
AND
having that homeless in own room. Ie a quarantene. If you believe the newcomer is more or less healthy, you dont need to overdo the quarantene. Many rescuers do have himher in the bathroom. A dog cage can also be useful in some variations.

If you arent sure - or specially if you KNOW shehe is sick - better to have this quarantene good. Ie wash thoroughly hands (preferably with addition of anti-bacteriell/virus agent) and change clothes every time you go from the quarantene...

This before you get to the vet, and preferably also some time afterwards, till all the shots and deparasiting are effective.

Thanks you are helping this guy!

Good luck!

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you and your daughter are helping that poor kitty.
It's so kind of you! Just think how happy it will be when it has the matted fur removed, it's tummy fed and a warm bed to sleep on.....And it will be entirely thanks to you and your daughter.

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What special people you and your daughter are to become this little kitty's guardians! Blessings to both of you. Please keep us posted on things go. I started fostering and while my cats have all been vaccinated...I do keep my fosters in a separate room for at least two weeks to be sure they don't harbor any illness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update.the vet says this is a neutered male about 5 yrs. old. The eye is blind.
The cat is healthy and the vet gave him rabies shot, and flea treatment. My grandson has removed the matted hair and this is a wonderful friendly cat. The whole time he was dematted him, the cat purred. He will make someone a good indoor cat.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

Just a quick update.the vet says this is a neutered male about 5 yrs. old. The eye is blind.
The cat is healthy and the vet gave him rabies shot, and flea treatment. My grandson has removed the matted hair and this is a wonderful friendly cat. The whole time he was dematted him, the cat purred. He will make someone a good indoor cat.
It is wonderful to the cat is well,
It is so good of you help this poor boy , hopefully you will be able to find him a good home